Cannondale SM600 1987 top tube cable guides

OSMojo

Old School Hero
Brought my new score SM600 24/26 to my local bike shop to inquire about sand blasting and powder coating. The only thing that worried me is they said that the top tube plastic guides might have to be broken off to be removed, does anyone know if that's the case? They did say they'd put on nice ones or braze them on, but then it wouldn't be original. I googled it and it seems you cannot get them anymore (which was to be expected). Has anyone gone through a frame restoration who can shed some light?

Tenks

cannondalesm600.jpg

Found the pic! That looks huge :shock:

raidan73":3hsixspl said:
Found the pic! That looks huge :shock:
Yep it's the 22" I bought a shorter NOS Suntour Stem (same one from the SM900 1987) I'll get that powdered in pink and it should work out, it's just a tinze too long at the moment

The A113 cable guides can be removed safely if you push the two pins into the frame. The guide should be able to be pulled off safely (some wiggling will be required) but you'll need to take the forks out and shake the six pins out. Let me know how you get on as I have some spares. :cool:

Swede":1v6zffl9 said:
The A113 cable guides can be removed safely if you push the two pins into the frame. The guide should be able to be pulled off safely (some wiggling will be required) but you'll need to take the forks out and shake the six pins out. Let me know how you get on as I have some spares. :cool:
Top advice thanks I will advise the bike shop to follow this technique. I'll PM you regarding the spares.

Due to their rarity these things are horribly expensive now, so you have to tell the bike shop to be very careful... Nice bike; what colour are you thinking?

Swede":340aujqb said:
Due to their rarity these things are horribly expensive now, so you have to tell the bike shop to be very careful... Nice bike; what colour are you thinking?

Going to stick to the very same combo as in the photo, I don't think the grey F&F came in custom graphics, if it did I'd try and get it copied as part of the restore. I've got the pink repro decals on the way.

OSMojo":32bfie0m said:
I've got the pink repro decals on the way.
Do you ask to Brian on "vintagecannondale.com" ?
You could find very fine and precise decal repro for your bike and nor for an expensive cost. I think he did some of the 87 decals in pink. Ask him :D
On other hand, he's working on repro of the top tube cable housing guide :D

24pouces":2uc25g5r said:
OSMojo":2uc25g5r said:
I've got the pink repro decals on the way.
Do you ask to Brian on "vintagecannondale.com" ?
You could find very fine and precise decal repro for your bike and nor for an expensive cost. I think he did some of the 87 decals in pink. Ask him :D
On other hand, he's working on repro of the top tube cable housing guide :D

Yeah I got them from vintage cannondale
198788pink_small.jpg

Can anyone confirm, the only stickers to go on a 1987 would be front badge, top tube, and seat (made in usa) I dont think any of the others belong. Also the reg mark above the 'a' I don't think that was on the frames at least it doesn't seem so from the catalogue

I have drew them for Brian from a 1988 SM700 frame.

So :
the station logo is on the headtube
"Cannondale" is on the toptube (be carefull : the base of the letter are quite on the middle of the tube. Before stripping the painting, look at precisly where they are ;) )
"Alpine" is on the seat tube, under the top tube. On some frame, you only got the USA flag…
"Made in USA" is on the top side of the seat tube, just in front of the saddle skewer
"patented design" is on the right seatstay
"handcrafted…" is on the left seatstay.
But 1987 bikes didn't got these seatstays decals. So you are free for using them or not :D

Back