Sunn Flex tail overhaul

joesteelbikes

Dirt Disciple
I've been looking at this site for a long time, and only recently registered and this will be my first post!

Just coming back into biking after a long time out doing other things, and need to sort out some of my old bikes and recent acquisitions.

I have a Sunn flextail frame in pieces that I took apart a few years ago, everything is there but in my impatience of removal of the short chromed 'stanchion'(for want of a better word) that provides the rear suspension travel (overzealous use of mole grips) it has mishapen out of true. It is also scored from use and generally not looking very good. Adding to this a recent eBay purchase of a complete flextail bike, which I had to send the missus to pick up (she lived closer)- i haven't seen the bike in the flesh but she has told me that 'the metal tube thingy which should look like it slides in another tube looks quite rusty'!

Has anyone overhauled one of these frames before? Im thinking of getting these stanchions remade but not sure what would be best material- sounds a bit silly but if i could find some thick brass tubing would that work? or cut down some old suspension fork stanchions as they seem quite durable? Measuring with a ruler the tube is 55m long and approx 25.5 diameter.

Any help would be appreciated- also if anyone wants to sell me any sunn/rudd/obsyss bits then that would be great!

Thanks
Joe

Attachments

• CIMG0026.JPG
    CIMG0026.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 191
Might be worth finding a cheapy set of suspension forks and having a go at cutting the stanchions?

I would have thought that the stanchions would be somewhere around the 25-26mm mark...

Yeah was thinking that may be the best way, just wanted to see if anyone had made up anything themselves and what would be best material as well- may experiment with some different tubing and see what happens. If I come up with a good idea will let people know for future flextail refurbishment.

Thanks

Joe

Back