No Konas in the MOMBAT collection?

I rode A Stinky Primo for years until I got to lazy to haul a 38 pound bike up the hill! :?

Now....What can I say! I have a fetish for fillet brazed N. Ca. Goodness..... :cool:

have you guys run out of people to bait on vrc.

its quite sad you know that you must ring each other to say, hey you guys there is an opportunity to troll on retrobike, the site we mock but just cant seem to stay away from.

i like kona's, i like Joe Murray perhaps you want to knock his credentials?

i find the bikes you collect dull and cliche, predictable and oh so yawn yawn, that's my opinion to which i am entitled and which is just as valid as yours. you see you just dont get it that people might like other or more mainstream bikes, like the 1993 kona kilaeua which was the mountain bike magazines bike of the year, an accolade it must of won while being pitted against all of the bikes that mombat do have for that year.

mombat is not the last word on what is a worthy bike, they like the rest of us here just collect what they like, and like what they collect, jesus there is a raleigh and a fisher with an stx gruppo in there.

now why dont you run along back to vrc like good little boys and go bait some newbies asking how much their bike is worth :xmas-cool: :xmas-cool: :xmas-cool: :xmas-cool:

Well said Charlie

There are some pretty monumental egos around here, with some equally large, one sided opinionated views.... Not just in this thread

rumpfy":263rmxlf said:
MOMBAT only collects rare or significant bikes...of which Kona is neither.

Cool Cro-Mega and Trek Y22 they have in their collection.
MOMBA aren't interested in bikes from outside of the US. Not exactly a rounded history of Mountain Biking but I guess it isn't supposed to be.

But we all started somewhere. Significant to Mike.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5900&hilit=kona

ameybrook":csn78eom said:
lewisfoto":csn78eom said:
You could put one next to the Mona Lisa at the Louvre!

Would have to be something special, like a Cinder Cone.

or maybe something even lower down the range like a lava dome

amey's all kona'd up here

hope that hasn't put too much of a spanner in the circle jerk

Attachments

• 5-3.jpg
    5-3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 421
mr_ship":3k0xkgro said:
rumpfy":3k0xkgro said:
MOMBAT only collects rare or significant bikes...of which Kona is neither.

Cool Cro-Mega and Trek Y22 they have in their collection.
MOMBA aren't interested in bikes from outside of the US. Not exactly a rounded history of Mountain Biking but I guess it isn't supposed to be.

But we all started somewhere. Significant to Mike.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5900&hilit=kona
I gots no love for T-wrecks

But the Ybike is more significant than a kona in the scheme of things

For my part my initial post although definitely sarcastic and meant to get something going was based in truth. We didn't have a single shop in town that sold Konas (on the east coast), I don't remember seeing any at any races (up and down the east coast) and I don't remember reading about them and ever wanting one.

As for being snobs and eliteists I look at it this way. I can't afford to collect and have a lot of cars, which I love above all other mechanical things. I can afford to buy a couple bike (almost) and I do love to ride. I feel that with a little bit of time and resourcefulness I can find and buy pretty much any bike I want and not break the bank. So, why for the love of Pete would I sell myself short and get something that's not the best? I and many of the others people are quick to call eliteists on here are not rich, we don't throw money at the problem. We look, we search, we call, we email, we drive, we get buddies to get stuff. IT'S A LOT OF EFFIN WORK! But in the end we cobble together something that's worth the time in owning. So, why waste that time on something that we can pretty much be sure is not gonna pay off. In the end we get it wrong too. I've spent a lot of time putting a bike together thinking it was gonna be awesome simply because someone else said it was and ended up hating it. So, when several people tell me not to waste my time I'll listed.

As far as Konas go, I'm sure they are fine bikes, some probably great. But is it worth my time to get one when I have a nice steel Yo, a Grove or can get a P series Ritchey??

I don't know, it's still early and I haven't had my coffee but that's what I think.

Charlieboy28":3ufmo9tj said:
or maybe something even lower down the range like a lava dome

amey's all kona'd up here

hope that hasn't put too much of a spanner in the circle jerk

I know! You guys aren't listening, Konas rule. Mine has a nice place right alongside side the rest of my collectable* vintage bikes (you may have to squint)

garage1_zps592bb9db.jpg

konaLD_zps6fa5c750.jpg

All tongue-in cheekness aside, I have mine for sentimental reasons. Konas are mass produced and boring. That's not saying they're not well designed (they were) and nice riding (they are). They're the Toyota Corolla of mountain bikes... ordinary, unexciting, and totally functional.

Story about Joe Murray - a couple of us VRC bait-seekers were at NAHBS and saw this guy with a Retrobike T-shirt and struck up a conversation. Turns out it was Joe and he's a really nice guy and likes the retrobike crowd. Only there was this other British website with whom he agreed to do an interview, and all they did is ask him his favorite Kona multiple times in different ways.

"I guess those guys really love Konas."

:)

*and before some smartass calls it, there's few collectable bikes in that photo. Even a GT. Another boring, unexciting, totally functional bike brand.

The problem here is I agree with the vrc-baiters.
Kona's are just Kona's.

If you really want to know, send First Flight a PM.

Could well be none of any great significance has popped up or been given to them. It's not British-MOMBAT no Orange or Pace either.

Look through the list and there are many that wouldn't get as mention over here and many that 'we' may think should be on it from a British point of view.

If it was Germany it'll be different again.

Back