Crank Bros Pedals: Candy or Egg Beaters?

The other thing worth mentioning is the importers 2Pure have fantastic customer service, have dealt with them on a couple of occasions and have been top notch. So long as you service the pedals as instructed your pretty well covered against failures. It is also a five minute job every six months or so.

theredchili":1a3kd8p9 said:
The other thing worth mentioning is the importers 2Pure have fantastic customer service, have dealt with them on a couple of occasions and have been top notch. So long as you service the pedals as instructed your pretty well covered against failures. It is also a five minute job every six months or so.

That is the one good think about CB...I bought a headset cheap from CRC due to the low stack height despite all of the horror stories and it fell apart when removing it from a frame. I asked 2Pure what sie bearings I needed and they sent me a new lower cup free of charge.

Some if their stuff looks great and is beautifully packaged but it does seem to have a bad rep for reliability (not that I can say much having bought a headset and a pair of Easton wheels, which according to the STW massive, means I'll probably die).

Neither. They're not especially good to use, and aren't terribly robust. Sure, you can rebuild them but you will be rebuilding them a lot.

SPD s aren't sexy but in terms of function and reliability they're a different league.

If it'll stop you buying Crank Bros I will do you a bargain rate on a pair of the new Look S-Tracks with optional platforms - which gives you all the benefits of Crank bros with none of the disadvantages.

There is no room in the pedals for the bearings, which - considering their importance - is a bit stupid. Also there is very little contact between shoe and pedal - which means sore feet.

theredchili":urbm9ug9 said:

Pedals need servicing? :roll:

suburbanreuben":kif3v0u4 said:
theredchili":kif3v0u4 said:

Pedals need servicing? :roll:

Apparently!

My old Azonic A Frames just kept on spinning as did my Shimano SPD's back when I ran them.

I have both, Eggs on my road, Candies on my XC full bounce. Neither serviced and still spinning happily. Guess mine are the lucky exception,

JT

I used to run CB pedals on all my bikes but following two catastrophic pedal failures that left me quite stuck (one in middle of Swiss mountains late in the day) I have gone completely back to shimano spds. Buy a pair of the new XT trail pedals - light, good support and very unlikely to let you down.

Loved the eggbeaters for muddy cross races but that's the only place I can see where they might have any advantage over spds.

Heck Guys. I'm totally stumped now!

on one hand I'm looking at Atacs, on the other I'm thinking of a throw-away-cheap cheap pair of candys to try!!

One last question... Do the new Time cleats work with the old 90's pedals?

Back