Mk2 Raleigh Bomber 1983 restoration project FINISHED

Re: Mk2 Raleigh Bomber 1983 restoration project *PICS*

Update, may also be looking for a pair of Mk.2 forks... the ones we have are Mk.1 and could really do with a 3mm-5mm longer steerer :(

ANYONE ABLE TO HELP?

I'll be back at the bike project next tuesday. There are bomber forks too. I'll take pics of those as well.

cce":1iw1bx7y said:
I'll be back at the bike project next tuesday. There are bomber forks too. I'll take pics of those as well.

awesome, very grateful to you! pls keep me posted!

if possible, the saddle needs to be a really good nick and the forks must have a 150mm steerer.

Please ignore the saddle, that's still an ongoing mini project in itself.

Otherwise, done and dusted - had a great test ride today, then took a few snaps:

8642147131_efe96fde50_c.jpg

8642148261_216abbb8ea_c.jpg

8642147963_3aab719f78_c.jpg

8642149771_545d1bec6f_c.jpg

8643249874_c884504c57_c.jpg

8642147639_ccdfd91105_c.jpg

8643247856_59891efc75_c.jpg

8642148941_8b7bc12186_c.jpg

More pics here:
http://deadrats.co.uk/2013/04/raleigh-bomber-mk2-restoration-part-nine-finished/

And how it began:
8220276591_91e99781bf_b.jpg

Quality job excellent stuff, my pal had one years ago an I had a black grifter with red decals they both weight tons :LOL: the memories ay....

Damn right, weighs 35+lbs! :LOL:

It's slow but comfy (will be better with OE saddle back on later though).

The gears working well and tyres corner beautifully - a snip at £38 posted from UK Bike Store IMO.

Bars offer a slightly odd hand position I found - maybe they need a slight tweak (and I have got silly long arms!)?

Got a few admiring glances around Chorlton today :)

More of a northern quarter kind of bike they'd love it round there, there's a vintage clothes shop on Tib street an the guys into anything like this he had a really old Saracen in there the other week £350 though!!!

Bpool77":q1grsinq said:
More of a northern quarter kind of bike they'd love it round there, there's a vintage clothes shop on Tib street an the guys into anything like this he had a really old Saracen in there the other week £350 though!!!

Tell me about it, I worked on Edge Street opposite Common for about 6 years, and I still DJ in the NQ from every now and then.

Well, this one's going back to the mean streets of hiphop-Holmfirth, before the owner moves darn sarf later this year.

You'll be gutted handing it over you've put a lot of work into it :? I haven't got the patience or the skill to restore to that level I'd be we'll proud,top of cruisein round the city centre even on a day like today :facepalm:

Edit. On the seat front what about a black Brooks? Not period but I recon it would suit it?

Bpool77":2e11l492 said:
You'll be gutted handing it over you've put a lot of work into it :? I haven't got the patience or the skill to restore to that level I'd be we'll proud,top of cruisein round the city centre even on a day like today :facepalm:

Edit. On the seat front what about a black Brooks? Not period but I recon it would suit it?

I agree with you on the Brooks, a wide sprung black one would look dope.

However, the original saddle is super comfy and - crucially - it has the mounting for the original reflector (which the bike looks a bit naked without).

Aimed close to factory spec, but with a few upgrades and new bits (eg tyres, grips, chain, cables, pads, various nuts & bolts). I had a good go at recovering the original saddle, but it's such a curvy shape that it was really tough to keep from creasing, so Mike (the owner) is looking at having it professionally re-upholstered.

I would love to keep it, but hey ho - another project is on the cards soon which makes this bike look like a youngster! :)

Back