1989 Swallow Merlin XT (Drum brake)

You are right - it's an odd coincidence. The one I used to know was Tange prestige and had the swallow motif, so the columbus angle never occurred to me.

Sweet bike, and great that they are up and running again with Bicycles by Design.

Well, im glad it is you that found this bike mate, and saw it for the quality it is.

its a sad fact but one that makes me laugh every time, so many good quality frames get overlooked, either because its a niche product, or because its an obscure small builder, it has seemed that unless it can be substantiated by a magazine review or had a big advertising budget from back in the day, its disregarded.

I have found this to be fact time and time again, I think this yet again proves that EVERYBODY should start looking and stop and look a little closer, who knows what may still out there to find, and yet seemingly staring us in the face.

I'm just glad you were the one that saw it, and appreciated it for what it was before the builder was defined.

Otherwise GOD only knows where it could have ended up.

A man after my own heart.

Top Job.

Another British piece of HISTORY saved... :cool:

Addendum:

I sold the Swallow Merlin a couple of years ago, but this one was brought into work for some period repairs and thought I'd add it into the archive. The photos are terrible I'll admit, but you get the idea.

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

I asked, it isn't for sale, original owner still uses it on occasion.

Re:

Great to see another Swallow, not many around. I still enjoy riding the Merlin, don't think I could ever sell it. :D

Back