Electric bikes!

Velo you make some great points, and as a former ebike owner, I respect your opinions. The bike I rode had front suspension & disc brakes - and was capable of a comfortable 20 mph cruising speed.....so it appeared to me that the bikes are approaching decent levels of performance. Would I pay £3k for one? I doubt it, but if and when they come down in price I will definitely be interested - and this is from someone who still shoots film, still listens to analogue radio, drives an old car, rides old bikes - so ebikes were not something I thought I would ever embrace - but the experience and thrill of it all changed my mind completely - that is the point I am trying to make.

I hired one in the US last year, and Izip Beach Cruiser style - you could switch to power only no pedalling and I reckon they did around 25mph(pedalling) - most fun was had with pedal assist - great fun even uphill, little wheelies when you put the weight back and the power on. I reckon it would be a good commuter solution but riding it in the blazing heat at a hilly beach resort (Catalina) really was brilliant fun.

the IZip I had was cost around $2000

edit found it...
http://www.nycewheels.com/currie-izip-z ... -bike.html

Back