What to do with my P7

azaro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just acquired a nice nickel P7, similar to the one I used to have in '96.
It's not in bad nick TBH, but there are the odd obligatory spots of surface rust (round the BB etc)

Got a full set of XT kit to put on it and it's got original orange finishing kit (bars, grips, stem seatpost)

Some things I'm pondering:

1. Do I leave it rigid with the original F7 forks or do I fit the nice set of RC35's I've got?
2. Do I leave the finish at it is or strip it and have it powder coated in orange/white fade?

If I go for the orange/white fade option, who would you recommend to do the work and how much will it cost?
If I leave it in nickel, what's the best way to treat the rust spots without damaging the nickel finish?

Be grateful for any input

Have a word with either Dossa or Jussa, think one of them cleaned up a nickel finish and re stickered.

If its a 21" then sell the to me :D

I'd keep it nickle :? tbh its the original finish and there are hundreds of renovations on here that go the usual Orange fade route. Dont get me wrong,i like orange fade but ive seen 50 now and am begging for something different :LOL:
Id recommend Z2's over pace ,especially if you actually want to ride it.

Dependent on the position of the rust you could simply sand it away,treat the area then pop on a hope/Pace/Orange sticker

Gotta keep it as is, I too am fed up with the orange fade resprays. Bit of elbow grease should see off most of the problem areas.

I have a nickel P7 1995 which I recently stripped off all of the lacquer and decals back using wire wool and acetone on decals to lovely shiny bare nickel, I got new decals from Gil just before his accident but couldn't bring myself to apply the decals as it looks soooo good
Frame is off now to CG Finishes Merseyside for four coats of clear lacquer, I should get it back late this week so will post some photos for you
As for forks I have also got RC35 MXCD and RC36 Evo2 and F7 to try see what I like best and will leave them on it, suggest you also try both see what you like

Think I'm going to stick with F7 for fully rigid, but might treat it to a Bob Jackson makeover.

What about a black/white fade, with orange decals?

I had the same dilemma and ended up getting a Fat Chance instead!! My P7 is still waiting for some TLC.

I thought about doing the silver and purple fade, with purple decals. I like the orange and white, but that reminds me more of the older Clockworks personally. I think I will end up going for orange all over with purple or black decals (it had black decals from the factory).

With all that finishing kit it sounds like it's going to be lovely, they are such good bikes to ride. I did 63 miles over a weekend on mine last year, through some singletrack and a few bridleways. With the F7 fork it was superb. So much so that I want to use it on my Fat.

Good luck with the build. I recently had a frame done at Argos in Bristol and have no complaints there.

Still waiting for my frame from C&G Finishes, got the bill £73 inc courier for 4 coats of clear and only minimal prep as I had stripped it back to bare nickel - will post photos when it arrives

Something classic about the Nickel P7 for me but I have another P7 ropey frame which I did the caustic soda trick on the seatpost and I have had thoughts about doing that one in the Gulf GT40 Blue/Orange colours

I like the sound of Black/White fade, not sure about Orange decals, maybe silver decals?
Suggest doing it in photoshop or similar to visualise first but its such a personal thing, so do what pleases you and ride it!

Right - colour scheme decided.
Not telling! May be a surprise but I think you'll (mostly) like it as it's going to be a bit different!

Watch this space!

Back