Baby's come home!!!!! - 1994 Kona Kilauea

Re: Baby's come home!!!!! (1994 Kona Kilauea) FINISHED p5

The frame colour is lush but I wonder how it would look with tue burnt gold type stem and forks. Also and it might just be me but I think the downtube decals are a bit off: the K should start at the lowest bottle cage mount...

al-onestare":2e9nrsng said:
The frame colour is lush but I wonder how it would look with tue burnt gold type stem and forks. Also and it might just be me but I think the downtube decals are a bit off: the K should start at the lowest bottle cage mount...

I am very sorry but you're wrong on both counts. Original colour is all silver, same colour all over. This is bike when I got it back and it still had the original paint:

IMGP0314_zpsdc6b4c10.jpg

Catalogue picture:

null_zpsad49a3aa.jpg

The decals have been reapplied in EXACTLY the same position as the originals. I measured where the original ones were and masked up the frame once it had been painted so they went back in exactly the same way.

al-onestare":8coyc7zc said:
Consider me educated! Thanking you!

Sorry I may have sounded a bit harsh with my reply. :oops:

I must admit when I went to look at the catalogue picture I noticed all the other bikes that year had that champagne coloured front end with a solid colour frame. Looks like the Kilauea was a bit different to the rest. Must have been because the champagne wouldn't look right with silver - too similar in shades.

your kilauea is absolutely stunning !! well done !!

all the 94' models have the grey front end...the brown/champagne appears in 95' and that's why my 95' champagne fork isn't on my kilauea as you said it doesn't look right...

This thread made me happy! And it's inspiring me to build retro, truly classy AND functional things myself. One of my favourite bikes and stories I have read so far.

Thank you a lot! I mean it.
Mx

Thanks very much for the kind words.

Entered again in the special BOTM this month.

Back