Baby's come home!!!!! - 1994 Kona Kilauea

Re: Baby's come home!!!!! (1994 Kona Kilauea) FINISHED p5

That looks tremendous Rob - bet you're well happy.
Looks so clean/slick. Great job.

Matt

Excellent stuff Rob. Really good story and a lovely build. IMO, after seeing the end product you were 100% right to repaint the frame etc. I've been having the same ''to repaint or not to repaint"
debate myself recently :? Where do you get your SS bolts from - all the internet places want you to buy large quantities. Enjoy riding that nice Kona :cool:

Bolts are from a local industrial fastener supplies

Really enjoyed reading about this - as well as a great restoration and a gem of a bike, it must truly be a beautiful feeling to have the actual bike back, after it was stolen.

Since I've been here, I've managed to get a replacement for my fave bike that was stolen BITD, and it's a great replacement (great condition, practically everything is original, and still in fine order), but it's not the actual bike, and although is probably as good as I'll get (it's also an inch bigger frame than mine was, so is a bit compromised, there), I can see how it would be special to actually manage to get hold of the actual bike you once had.

beautiful!

one of the nicest looking restoration's ive seen on here..

and the fact it has a story and is your Original bike just makes it all the better!

chapeau! :cool:

that is superb rob. two thumbs up from me.

looks quite marvellous but I inisist you get a pair of these.

kona-log-lock-on-grips.jpg

sinnerman":3orrle6q said:
Bravo mate.

:cool:

love the colour too....!

Means a lot you saying that Carl! Thanks very much!

Colour is as close to the original as the powdercoaters could do, but it is actually very "silver", unlike the original which seemed to have a slight brown tiint to it. The micro glitter in the paint makes it pop like you wouldn't beleive, but it isn't "in your face" like some of those glittery finishes.

Feels a bit weird to ride to be honest........ just getting used to it again I suppose. I don't have the seat that high either, thats just for the photos!!

Neil":h5sbzafo said:
Really enjoyed reading about this - as well as a great restoration and a gem of a bike, it must truly be a beautiful feeling to have the actual bike back, after it was stolen.

Since I've been here, I've managed to get a replacement for my fave bike that was stolen BITD, and it's a great replacement (great condition, practically everything is original, and still in fine order), but it's not the actual bike, and although is probably as good as I'll get (it's also an inch bigger frame than mine was, so is a bit compromised, there), I can see how it would be special to actually manage to get hold of the actual bike you once had.

It is really odd I have the exact bike back - doesn't feel real to be honest. I know I had those yeti grips on but I can never remember changing the gripshift grips - weird!

I need a top cap for a Velocity stem so I can try the original stem - it has been coated and decalled up as the one in the picture - will I ever find one?

02gf74":1gxzp8qh said:
looks quite marvellous but I inisist you get a pair of these.

kona-log-lock-on-grips.jpg

Sorry mate but they look awful. Nasty new Kona logo. I had Yeti grips on BITD so thats what I put on it this time. I do have some NOS clear ODI Attack grips which I might put on, who knows.

Back