GT STS - And so it begins...

I've also decided to send the forks to Tim at Fork English for a full stripdown and service (when funds allow!). This might delay the build a little, but I think it's a delay worth having because, although the seller said that he had fully serviced them before sending them to me, there's no guarantee that he did a proper job and I'd rather send them to someone who I KNOW will give them the proper treatment :D

The guy who sold the STS frame to me has also sent me a bundle of spare shock parts, which turned up at work today :D

I haven't got them out of the package for one simple reason - there's so much of it that I'll never get it back in to take it home!

There's a spare Super Deluxe shock in there, plus 2 spare springs, plus trunnion mounts, travel chips, spring retainers, bottom out bumpers, rebound and compression dials, suspension bushes for the rear end of the bike and various bolts, washers and valves.

Should keep the STS going for a while :cool:

IMAG0275_zps319cfaf1.jpg

Looking good fella.

Those cranks are the right choice. I love the old Turbine cranks, they're timeless and tough as old boots. I had a mate who ran some on his Demo 9. I think I want a pair for my Cannondale (when I finally get round to rebuilding it).

Forks look immaculate.

Mindmap3":1geqcbhn said:
Looking good fella.

Those cranks are the right choice. I love the old Turbine cranks, they're timeless and tough as old boots. I had a mate who ran some on his Demo 9. I think I want a pair for my Cannondale (when I finally get round to rebuilding it).

Forks look immaculate.

Yes, I love Turbines - they look good on anything! I had planned to get a Hope Bashguard to replace the outer ring but they only do them in 4 arm :(

And as for the forks - they look immaculate, but unfortunately I don't think they were serviced properly so they need a trip to Fork English to get them sorted. Not the end of the World though :)

The wheels turned up yesterday, and I was in for a nice surprise.

I bought them thinking that the hubs were Hope Pro 2s, but it turns out they're Pro 3s.

But then, to balance out my good fortune, the rear shock on the STS has now decided that it wants a bit of TLC.

B*gger :(

Mindmap3":2cw8gf9z said:
Wounder. Will anyone look at those now given the lack of spares available?

Stendec will service them, but they charge £75...

There's a complete rear end for sale at the moment which has a Manitou Air Shock fitted to it. This looks like it might be a better option. The trouble is I'm completely skint for the time being!!

That's not too bad for a shock service...TFT, Mojo, LoCo etc will lighten you're wallet more than that.

Second hand shocks are a real gamble...but a shot shock wi make the bike ride like poo. My SX was the same...recently serviced shock it said in the ad, Er no it wasn't. But by the time it was finished, it was too late so £120 later I had a perfect shock.

I've also got the forks to sort, which is another £80-90.. They'd apparently been "fully serviced" before I bought them too :roll:

These bikes are more trouble than they're worth sometimes!

I'm very tempted to get this shock as a replacement... £45..

Apologies for the terrible picture :oops:

Attachments

• 2013-04-12_08-31-20_1.jpg
    2013-04-12_08-31-20_1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 195
Back