Help with identifying Raleigh refurb project

netman

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

If anybody can help me to ID the bike pictured on my flickr stream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/almaule/sets/72157633220364361/
I'd be really grateful - saw it advertised for £20 and just couldn't refuse it!
Used to ride a similar bike as a teenager, but this one has lost it's decals and I can't find a serial number yet.
Weinmann 610 brakes/Brooks saddle/Suntour XV if that helps.
Hoping to be able to fix it up and keep it as original as possible. It has a 54 mile charity ride awaiting in May if I can get it done.
Thinking I might be spending some time on this site!

Thanks,
Al.

Attachments

• DSC_0494.jpg
    DSC_0494.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 380
I don't know what model it is but it looks as if you got a bargain there. You should find a date code on the brake callipers, crank arms and maybe the wheel hubs, I would guess at late '70s/early 80s (just looked again at your hub picture and it appears to be 1980).

Obviously the cables and chain have had it but I think that is all you will have to buy (assuming the wheels ant tyres are ok), you might even be able to salvage the chain. A weekend's worth of cleaning and lubricating will see it more than ready for the charity ride and daily use.

I'm not certain but it does look a little like my brothers Raleigh Royal,if you could post some pics of the bike from the other side and a little closer on the groupset i'm sure there are guys on here who will know what it is straight away.

Good luck with the refurb and the charity ride too.

Dave.

Ignore me,just spotted the link to the pics,doh. it does still look like my brothers Royal but his bike has side pull calipers and not centre pull so maybe not.

Dave.

Thanks very much... serial number was obvious in the end (in daylight!). It's NN0021953, so from what I've seen online, that'll be Nottingham made October 1980? I'd still love to know the model though... also, is there any way of knowing whether the tubing is Reynolds without a sticker being present? Just for interest really. It feels pretty light to me.
Going to try and rescue the chain - I think it's mostly original from looking at it and would love to keep it that way as much as possible!
I just sold a 2011 Scott Speedster as the frame was a bit too big for me and (strangely?) I love this old hunk of rust and steel much more already!
So far I've just WD40'd all the nuts and wiped the frame down - there is some rust showing on the frame and the spokes, but I'm hoping to be able to clean it up rather than strip and respray.
Thanks again for the help...

Hey netman, worthed bike you got there, Raleigh are one of my favourite frames. I am currently after an unknown frame also for the same price. Maybe by today I am going to check out if it is worth buying.

Back to your thread, it seems like the crankset is still the original one, you can try to figure out by searching on the net for some bikes that resembles the same parts and lugs.

It could be a Raleigh Richmond if it's 1980, but I'm really just basing that on the colour. The best way to tell what the steel is, is by the seatpost diameter. If the seatpost is 25.4mm then it's gas pipe; around 26-26.4mm is chromoly; 27-27.2 is Reynolds 531. Both the men's and women's Richmonds were full 531 and quite nice light bikes.

Jonny69":2tpjd0zo said:
It could be a Raleigh Richmond if it's 1980, but I'm really just basing that on the colour. The best way to tell what the steel is, is by the seatpost diameter. If the seatpost is 25.4mm then it's gas pipe; around 26-26.4mm is chromoly; 27-27.2 is Reynolds 531. Both the men's and women's Richmonds were full 531 and quite nice light bikes.

Awesome info - thanks... I did wonder about Richmond when trawling Google, but most seemed to have straight bars, so that put me off! Could be though if they made one with drops... or perhaps someone converted it later - I did wonder about the rather gorgeous looking Cinelli bars! I'll measure the seat post later on.

The red ends to the cranks look like Sugino Maxy......late 70's and early 80's :)

The handlebar stem looks like what I used to race with and probably worth more than the bike......any chance of any pics?

Shaun

The cranks look like standard Raleigh fitment to me, my Criterium has the same set, but with chrome caps.

I've looked at your new pictures. It really was quite forlorn looking, it'll scrub up great though. It looks as if you have made good progress already. The 25.4mm seat post suggests that it's a gas pipe frame, not that it matters IMO, it'll still be a lovely bike once it's been cleaned up.

It might be a good time to link to this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=244778

Back