Saracen Trekker UU

Hi Rupe,

Thanks for that - value the offer regarding the decals, will keep it in mind. My original thoughts were to keep it 6 speed. I would like to convert to q/r for the rear wheel, but not sure how to do that, and can live without if its complicated

Hopefully the seat post shifts - but i note you got yours out very neatly!

xxnick1975":3qy1ipkr said:
Hi Rupe,

Thanks for that - value the offer regarding the decals, will keep it in mind. My original thoughts were to keep it 6 speed. I would like to convert to q/r for the rear wheel, but not sure how to do that, and can live without if its complicated

Hopefully the seat post shifts - but i note you got yours out very neatly!

Like :D

Qr rear is just a matter of replacing the rear axle with a hollow one of the correct length and adding the skewer.

Carl

Yes, you might aswell stick with 6 speed as you have the shifters already.

When I got my XT one I sold the shifters and made that 7 speed as well just to keep everything compatable really, so I can swop wheels easily. Plus 7 speed is hyperglide so it does make for a better ride, but original is good too!

I think when I got my original XT in 1989 it was last years model (88 obviously) and so it was very cheap and the only way I could afford an XT equipped bike at the time, but I do remember getting flack from my mates that they all had HG gears! Maybe that stuck with me and I made the modifications now that I would have liked to do then???

Nice trekker - really like these and yours will come up really nicely I think.

What is that blue 'Yates lurking in the background :cool:

I wanted this so much but the seller wouldn't post or meet half way so weighing up time and fuel decided against it and watched it until the end, very glad it's here though. Its one of my must have one day bikes, my mate's cousin had one from new BITD which I used to drool over!

well spotted on the Yates, its not a diabalo, so i guess it was made for someone?

Its made from Columbus Max OR, lovely fillet brazed construction

bought off here last year - so its a slow burner that one

I have the parts to finish it off now so it will be getting its own thread one fine day

any love for the bike stand by the way! handmade british wood!

Very nice , although 25 years are showing it looks in good shape considering, there is something about a bike that is sporting the original tyres (FJC's too) and full reflector kit :cool:

Great grab and I certainly look forward to seeing it develop

Yep, navy blue cable outers all there, and in good condition but rear reflector is missing.

Front reflector arm is colour coded to the frame :cool:

Grips are later additions i think (Madison curved jobies - cobra?) as they don't look right at all - what would be suitable for this, I often use ODI attacks as they are availbale but as much as i like them I'm not sure they would look right for this

re tyres - they do look like Tiogas but they are actually Hutchinson's. Grip is good but side walls are FCUKed, so need replacing

However, i'm hopeful of sourcing some FJs thats have just come up on the for sale section - good timing or what!

Back