To restore or not?

toby1974

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Hi,

I've just picked up a Peugeot 753 with a full Mavic SSC groupset. The paint isn't great so was thinking
about a respray. I'm thinking though would it be best just "tidying" it up and keeping it original?
or just going with a full respray? Any thoughts.

Thanks,
Toby

I tend to go for a tidy up.Although after looking at one of bagpuss' bikes I'm so tempted to go for a full restoration.

Also depends on the condition of the original parts. If they are also not perfect, they
may look odd with a resprayed frame.

You might then be tempted to find an NOS groupset - and the retrobike money pit opens its
jaws :twisted:

Thanks for your advice/comments... I think I'll strip the bike down and give it a good clean/oil and just t-cut the frame, it'll probably look better that way.

I've enclosed a few pics.

Regards,
Toby

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 716
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 716
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 716
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 716
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 716
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 716
^^That is a lovely bike! I really rate steel Peugeots - mainly because they have good road geometry and ride/track well (I've got a 531 Pug) Your bike is 753 which is a superb tube set, I once read that most quality lightweight steel tubing requires energy to bend and then more energy to bend back, 753 requires no energy to bend back! Your Mavic gruppo is very high quality as well. This bike really is top pro level kit :cool:

To redo a paint job like that will cost a small packet today, so I'd definitely look at cleaning and a few touch ups. Doesn't look that bad anyway :)

I've enclosed a few photos of the 1989 Z Peugeot bike as ridden by Robert Millar. The colour and decals are a perfect match against my Peugeot, not sure what components would have been used on the team bikes?.

Regards,
Toby

Attachments

• Z Peugeot - Robert Millar.jpg
    Z Peugeot - Robert Millar.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 608
  • Millar-Dauphine.jpg
    Millar-Dauphine.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 608
  • imagesCASD0RIK.jpg
    imagesCASD0RIK.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 608