klein attitude went cheap

highlandsflyer":2d8kc500 said:
Go on as long as you like, you won't convince me that a bike produced by the same workers a day after a buy out were suddenly crap.

He doesn't have to. The prices the post-Trek Kleins fetch on eBay should be indication enough.

Rumpfy, there are plenty great bikes that fetch next to nothing on Ebay and such.

I was buying and selling Kleins up to 96/97, and I can tell you I saw little change in the bikes coming out in those last two years.

There is plenty of room to elaborate here, it is not Twitter.

Lazily throwing the "Post Trek Crap" label around serves to undermine any advice one might sensibly give, such as opining that the quality went down after Trek bought Klein and by the turn of the millennium the bikes were mass produced shadows of their former selves. If that were even true, there is still much to be commended about the Attitudes of the early 2000s as bikes for riding.

highlandsflyer":2jditi7l said:
I was buying and selling Kleins up to 96/97, and I can tell you I saw little change in the bikes coming out in those last two years.

Didn't trek stop all the proprietary lunacy in those years? Normal BBs instead of the integrated ones, etc.
I seem to recall reading that in an earlier discussion on this very subject. That would make the bikes from those years the best ones.

Raging_Bulls":1by00yzn said:
highlandsflyer":1by00yzn said:

Didn't trek stop all the proprietary lunacy in those years? Normal BBs instead of the integrated ones, etc.
I seem to recall reading that in an earlier discussion on this very subject. That would make the bikes from those years the best ones.

If by proprietary you mean using JIS square taper (one of the longest running standards in the bike industry) bottom brackets then yes, they stopped that lunacy in 1996.

For me there is so much difference between the MC1, MC2 and MC3, i only really like the MC1's.....and a bit the MC2's...

If you only look at the shape of the frames, the steerer and the fork, the MC1 and MC2 are, in my eyes so much better looking than the MC3's.

And yes you need some special tools for the bottom bracket and the fork, but i don't mind to use them if the bike can look so much better ;)

As someone who has never owned a Klein all I recall BITD was Attitudes, and Adroits in Storm, Team etc with MC1's and MC2's and marveling at the headset setup, the smooth lines and the amazing colours and paint schemes. Then what made them amazing and stand out started to die and Klein was no more.

Back