DBR Vertex...

Proper brochure pricture of your model (I think!):-

Attachments

• 95_Vertex_edit.jpg
    95_Vertex_edit.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 360
Neil":2g52vltd said:

thats it. very cool. Thanks a ton. printed it out and will use this as a guide.

Now. Saddles?
as the name might imply i try to do things as cheaply as possible (lets not forget kids, and wife), however I do not mind paying for quality.
In my old age I have become more of a novice rider...can one go backwards on skill? Yes I can.
I want a good seat, durable, somewhat period correct, yet comfy for the lack of butt in which i was blessed with.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

costefishnt":1emkxdnb said:
Neil":1emkxdnb said:

thats it. very cool. Thanks a ton. printed it out and will use this as a guide.

Now. Saddles?
as the name might imply i try to do things as cheaply as possible (lets not forget kids, and wife), however I do not mind paying for quality.
In my old age I have become more of a novice rider...can one go backwards on skill? Yes I can.
I want a good seat, durable, somewhat period correct, yet comfy for the lack of butt in which i was blessed with.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The original scan was much bigger (an eye-watering 54M), think I resized it for uploading, here. Price list in the brochure says a 95 Vertex was £899 of your finest UK pounds.

Saddles always seem to be a very individual thing, edit: forgot to say, your Vertex would have had the same saddle as my 95 Apex - a Bontrager C20, for me, not the last word in comfort. Personally, I've always found WTB saddles suit me, and can often be had for quite reasonable prices, if you're patient, on that old bay of 'e.

Thanks Neil. you have been an eye opener.

899pounds huh? that is equivelent to 9,234 us dollars. lol. I figured with the way the bike is built it was a 500-600US back in the day.
everytime i ride her I tend to fall more in love with it. Very tight, and reminds me of the old redline BMX bikes I used to race. Solid, light, and very well balanced.

Thanks for info on seats.

Now, another question, then I am off to St. Maarten, San Juan, and Freeport for work. Internet will be hard to come by.
The RockShox Toras that I have on the bike are void of any scratches, and these are the only decals that are not faded. On the underside of the stantions(SP?) it appears that they were glossy black at one time, however all the parts viewable by those around me are faded. Would a nice couple clean thin coats of clear coat be sufficient, or must I go through the whole full on paint job?

As my Scottish friend says, we need to make this the dog's dangly bits...

It was $1000 retail in the States. It says it, with the spec breakdown here

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...amondback&Model=Vertex&Type=bike#.UWhW78ovNc4

I'd improve the groupset to XT throughout. It would be M737 model numbers in 95, if you were to keep it period correct. It's not the cheapest stuff to get, but it is widely available, and not overly expensive. Make sure you get a good bottom bracket and headset, as they take a lot of punishment.

costefishnt":1oqtq600 said:
The RockShox Toras that I have on the bike are void of any scratches, and these are the only decals that are not faded. On the underside of the stantions(SP?) it appears that they were glossy black at one time, however all the parts viewable by those around me are faded. Would a nice couple clean thin coats of clear coat be sufficient, or must I go through the whole full on paint job?

I'm sure others can chip about fork choices, and / or restoration - I know less than Homer Simpson about boingy forks, so have nothing I can add there. All of my DBs are rigid.

As Tim says - XT would suit - is the kit on it in good enough condition to be cleaned and polished and reused?

hello from the middle of the ocean. litteraly...my job takes me all around the world, and I happen to be on a vessel sailing to st maarten, then i fly home.

back to business, the good kind. my bike.

when i return i will get a bunch of shots (pics) and post em up. while i want to keep the "old" in it, i do want some modern flare.

maybe after i post pics i can pick yalls brain some more. in the meantime, thanks to all of you as yall have been down right inviting and friendly. once again, thanks.

Talk to yall soon.

So, I accidentally bought one of these myself now, for £20, and am doing it almost standard. Need to polish mine up, and may go the ball burnish route, then either lacquer or anodize. Going for full period LX I think. Currently spent £55 in total on her, and now only need a new saddle, grips, cables, chainset & pedals. :oops:

Still waiting for your pics, and maybe we can compare our builds

Latest posts

Back