bushings for rear shock

Raging_Bulls

Sbike Fan
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Another noob question here.

So I bought this new rear shock (Fox Float CTD Evolution) for my modern (my first full suspension, the original shock was leaking when I bought the NOS frame). the shock comes with a set of bushings that don't fit the bike. The outer diameter fits the shock's eye, but the inner is too big for the axle that mounts it to the frame and linkage. The original bushing fits the axle, but the outer diameter doesn't fit the shock.

For now I have been playing with a piece of copper bent to fit outside the original bushing, and despite measuring properly, I can't get it to work with the calculated 0.5mm thickness. It just won't fit. Currently using 0.3mm, and I notice that there's some play now. I would try copper with a 0.4mm thickness, but don't have that here.

The build is nearing £2K now, so I'm not going to cut corners and ride with a rattling suspension. I'm thinking about having a set of custom bushing made. I know a place where they can turn them at a reasonable price, but I need to supply the material. Thing is, I'm not sure which material to use.
The Fox came with metal ones, the original shock used something plastic, like teflon perhaps. What would be the best option? Or perhaps I should just let them turn a new oversized axle that fits the shock without the need for bushings at all?

Remember a bush is sacrificial so it doesn't wear the other parts. Best way seems to be the bush and then turned bar (i.e one solid piece rather than 2 side bits).

misteroo":3nne1hl7 said:
Have you tried TF Tuned?

ooooo ! :shock:

Lovely ! How come I never noticed they had all that?

Thanks

I'm so stupid, bending copper strips into shape for hours when I could have just measured the dimensions and ordered a full kit.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I took all the necessary measurements tonight and ordered a full set at TF Tuned. Slightly more expensive than having them done locally, but at least now I know I'll have the right materials and what not.

Now I just need to get the brake lines shortened and I just might be able to get the Schmolke ready in time for the 98+ BoTM ... if the weather allows me to take pics next week, that is.

Back