DBR Vertex...

costefishnt

Retro Newbie
Just scored a very clean vertex...best I can tell it was made in 95.

What say you on the old girl. Doing some polishing shows very little wear, no dings, all equipment working perfectly.

went through all bearings and regreased, and she rides nicely.

is she a good bike?

I forgot to say hello and welcome. This is where the addiction starts! You'll be getting used to a flow of parts coming in through the post, and money from your wallet ;)

Is it the one on ebay the other week? I was skint so couldn't bid, but wanted it

I guess I should have introduced my self...I am Costefishnt, or as my parents call me curtis.
I am a redneck from Florida, yes the US...remember we are all friends now.

As a child i used to race BMX, then got into MTB in my teens and 20's. got old, got married, had kids and spent more time hunting, fishing, and shooting.
hitting the midway point in life the belly was at keg size, I missed riding. rode an old schwinn before they became wal-mart crap.

Now the story on the bike in question. I have exactly 0.00 dollars us which is 0.00 in pounds, quid, and euro's as well.
A guy at work found the bike in his neighbors trash. he gave it to a lady at work. when I heard tell this story I went to said lady and asked about the bike. she said she just wanted something to ride. Well I have kids, and my daughter is way to important and cool to ride a bike, so I took her old mongoose (girls) cheapo bike, added some parts from a couple of donar bikes and offered the lady a trade.

When the bike arrived at work I was shocked, as all i knew was it was a diamond back. the bike has rock shocks toras, Magura race-line d caliper style brakes and levers
srt boox-1 twist shifters shimano deor xt/ x7 derailer and whatever the back gear changer is called, mavic x517 wheels.
it is aluminum (AL-LUME-eh-NUM) not (AL-YOU-meen-E-UM) :) which was pretty grey. I spent about four hours with a polishing wheel and it cleaned up very nicely. no dings, minor chain love, however the decals where in pretty bad shape and where removed.

I have serviced the bike and she rides very well. Did a 12 mile jaunt last night and will do another at lunch today.

Plans:
Get you some pics.
polish to her original glory (Tips please-polish, methods from the pros???)
find a decal set, (however I have mixed feelings on which way to go I like old stuff with new modern twists. Thinking about getting a newer DBR decal set-Thoughts?)
ride the ever loving snot out of it. We have some nice trails that end at places where we can shoot our guns without fear of hurting someone or property. (Ranges cost money, therefore free is better) and as well use it for fitness too.

Gil_m on here may be able to help regarding decals. It sounds nice, but I can see there are modern parts that have crept in. Do you plan to keep the modern/retro combination, or get it period correct? All the same, it sounds like you got a real score with that bike. It was a ball burnish finish originally. I think Jango on here has one, so could be able to offer further advice.

Sounds like it has been upgraded. That frame deserves the best parts you can throw at it. Like you intend, I would ride the heck out of it and think about tinkering when you have some downtime if needed.

Nice score!

Brochure scan of the 95 Alu Vertex...

(sorry, just looked at the brochure and realised - that's the Vertex TA with Easton tubing. If the one you've got is polished, it's probably the 7005 alu Vertex.

Attachments

• Vertex_TA_95_Brochure_scan_301210_edit.jpg
    Vertex_TA_95_Brochure_scan_301210_edit.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 528
Neil":2pkkhyzo said:
Brochure scan of the 95 Alu Vertex...

(sorry, just looked at the brochure and realised - that's the Vertex TA with Easton tubing. If the one you've got is polished, it's probably the 7005 alu Vertex.

that is cool. I do have the polished vertex. one of the decals that was faded was 7005.

I was looking on another section of the forum as my blood is pumping about this bike. Someone had taken an old GT frame I think a 94 that looked to be in about the same shape is mine, where as there was no shine on the aluminum. This guy did a number with bringing it back to life and as shiney as chrome almost. Is this possible with mine? as I mentioned I have about 4 hours with a polihing wheel, but I have not put any real elbow grease into it.

The only thing i am not really keen on is the shifters. i like the rapid fire style, however not sure if I want to change anything operational right now...rides too nicely.

Back