Singlespeed Proflex mtb

Proflex656

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,

Just about finished building my Proflex singlespeed project.

Based on a wrecked Proflex Reptile frame that had been stashed in a shed for 15yrs, most of the good bits had disappeared and the yellow and blue paint work was a proper eyesore.

The rear spring has just arrived, so that will finish the project off nicely.

It rides really well and flies on tracks and trails, very pleased with it.

I think Single speed might be a route I go again with my next build....

Cheers - jr

Attachments

• singlespeed.jpg
    singlespeed.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 551
That looks like a nice clean SS you have there, can you do some better pics ;)

Jussa :)

Thanks for the positive comments !
I'll try to get some better photo's uploaded later...
Needs a wash, it's had a bit of use of the past few days....

Glad I had the frame powder coated in makes all the difference, especially when it gets used.
:D

jr

Hi all - here's a couple more photo's
I've spent more time riding it that taking photo's....
Rear spring now fitted and swapped to a 1/8th chain, rather than the blue narrow chain fitted in the piccy.
Still a few bits to tweak and a few better photo's to take I guess.

Attachments

• profex resto 013.jpg
    profex resto 013.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 476
  • profex resto 014.jpg
    profex resto 014.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 476
Built with mostly retro parts.....flite saddle, 90's bars, Dia compe 7 levers and NOS Shimano canti's, wheels from my old 90's Pro-flex Arcadia ( long gone - should have kept it ).
It's very light and agile, running 34/16 at the moment which is good for track & trail....a little under geared for on road stuff, but it's ok when you have tired legs on the way home.
Schwalbe Big Apple tyres are great for the looks and trail work, rubbish in the mud I expect !
Looking to maybe replace the Rock Shox's with some Girvin vectors and go to 36 /16 ?
jr

Props to you for doing the work, but I just don't understand why you would do this??? The whole SS on a fully concept just seems pointless to me.

It's a case of why not really ?
Singlespeed's light and agile, the frame was in a proper state, so doing this saved it from the scrap bin.
Ultimate urban cruiser ?
Nothing that can't be changed back if the fancy takes me.
If you haven't you ridden a singlespeed lately....give it a go - good fun all around :)

Proflex656":3dypx3tg said:
It's a case of why not really ?
Singlespeed's light and agile, the frame was in a proper state, so doing this saved it from the scrap bin.
Ultimate urban cruiser ?
Nothing that can't be changed back if the fancy takes me.
If you haven't you ridden a singlespeed lately....give it a go - good fun all around :)

I've had several single speeds. I agree with everything you said, light, agile, simple. But all that goes away when you add a heavy full suspension frame as a basis for the build. It's like it undoes all that a proper SS should be.

Back