ZASKAR: to repair or wave goodbye?

jp65

GT Fan
Hi, I've been lurking here for a while and now I need help!

My trusty Zaskar which I've owned from new has finally eaten through it's rear rim so I need to change/repair the wheel. The bike is in semi retirement and used when I need a bike that I can put on my shoulder for coastal path steps and other obstructions or when my 29er is broken, which is too often (like now), so I was contemplating maybe a second hand replacement wheel,(or two, the front's on it's last legs) But.... I don't really know what to look for new or S/H to get one that would fit. The cassette and freewheel are pretty worn, as are the chainset sprockets so Guess I need a wheel, cassette, freewheel and chainset that match, trouble is I don't know the parameters to consider in order to get it all to line up and work using the original Alivio 7 speed derailleur.

Some further considerations: I do like the frame and I may persuade myself that it would be worthwhile to go the whole hog and use what works as the basis for a light, extreme cyclo-cross bike, chuck the Judy's and replace with plain disc fork, disc wheel on the back (the frame lugs seem to be there and discs because it seems easier to get disc compatible components)

Or It may be just not worthwhile and I ought to get rid.

I'd be grateful for any insights.

jp
Cornwall
UK

Attachments

• 2012-06-29 10s.jpg
    2012-06-29 10s.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 984
  • P1040560s.jpg
    P1040560s.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 981
  • P1040531s.jpg
    P1040531s.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 982
If you just want it fixed you'll be able to pick up a decent set of wheels with cassette on here for about £30 to £50 and a decent crankset should set you back £20 to £30. Stick a post up in the 'wanted' section and see the offers flood in. :D

like the sound of the monstercross conversion, if you do go down that path then you'll not be needing those pretty blue bar ends.
seriously if you do decide to split it then i'm sweet on your pedals too. Go mostercross it looks like a hoot!!!

1989 haro escape 4130 nos looking for suitable blue bling !!!!!!!

Any modern rim brake wheelset will fit. All you have to do is get a 7speed cassette spacer to fill the extra space needed for 8/9 speed. Add in a cassette, chain and rings and you are in business again...all for under £100 if you buy secondhand wheels. You can get a new set of Deore / Mavic XM317 rim brake wheels for under £120 at CRC for example. Even with new bits you are talking under £200.

Bearing in mind that a new bike as capable and light as your Zaskar is going to set you back around £1200, I think it's a no-brainer.

The acera X hubs are pretty low rent, and your cassette looks pretty worn on some of the larger sprockets. I'd assume that chain and chainrings need replacing.

+1 to what hamster said

I think what Jez is saying is that is not a Zaskar ;)

But who cares?
If you enjoy riding it then fix it up and go ride the nuts, sorry bolts off it. :)

Mawnan smith eh? You must be posh ;)
Easy to get a replacement set of wheels second hand for cheap, I just picked up a pair for my fisher from radian73 he's local too. I know he has a couple of wheelsets about to become available.
We really should organise some Cornwall RB rides. Most of the SW rides are too far for me.

I'd have to agree with the non zaskar comment, the gear fitted and with the rear end cap seem to give idea of a lower model with a zaskar stickers..happy to be proven wrong though

personally I would go lx/dx rebuild, xt if you want to spend a bit more and a good set of mavics should see you keep rolling and continue to enjoy it

MADJEZ":pkn22kv6 said:
More importantly have you had this round end-capped, Acera equipped 'Zaskar' since new ?

an interesting question, but yes, had it from new. BUT it wasn't a Zaskar when I first had it, it was (I think) an LTS, or was it RTS? -- it's been a while.
Within a year I'd broken the suspension linkages (Cleeve Hill quarries), decided the suspension wasn't going to cope, so had all the bits transferred to a new Zaskar frame by GT shop Cheltenham.
Whether that makes it a Zaskar...

jp

Back