Popped my cherry but whats the story with this Orange

chris-hodge

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

Finally popped my forum cherry, after many years of observing and hankering after something worthy of discussion I can finally join and contribute.

Recently pulled the trigger on my dream bike, a clockwork orange.
a familiar story I know, had first seen one as a teenager and was smitten, stayed with me since then.
When I finally got into proper mountain biking it wasn't in the line up and I bought an Evo2 in 2003 which I still ride all the time, currently single speed fully rigid.
but the itch has been there the whole time for a clockwork.
so now I have one
and what a mixed bag, shed of a bike it is too.

I think I have added the pictures at least as files, like other newbies, couldn't suss out how to introduce it into the text.

So why mention it? whats so special?....well here's what I know and have been told

The frame number is:
A305038 (as far as I can make out)
Which I understand to be a may 93 frame

I am told that this bike was raced at a high level by a chap called Paul May who was buddies with and raced with Rob Warner who went on to win various championships
It has a real mixed bag of components on it ranging from XT to STX to Alivio, which I assume was just to build it into a saleable bike to then move the race parts on to a new frame.

The gusset behind the headtube is a peculiar feature and appears to be a professional job, it was welded in as a stiffner rather than as a repair, apparently.
It looks to have had some pace equipment on it at some point as it has a pace sticker but has period GT forks on it which naturally will need to be replaced for something appropriate although they look identical to some of the orange ones I have seen, I did wonder how similar they would be and if it is worth replacing them.

I would like to know if the gusset is something that Orange could have possibly done
Also
Could anyone confirm if this bike would have had the “serif” older style logos or the slightly later “oblong” style graphics, it appears to be on the changeover year so I would like to get it correct if possible.

anyone know if the graphics are available somewhere, I asked orange and said nope

and if anyone has some orange forks i'll be your best mate

Thanks very much for any help given

sorry it's so wordy, i'm often accused of talking too much, guess I type too much too!!!

ta

C

Attachments

• IMG096.jpg
    IMG096.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG100.jpg
    IMG100.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 538
Well done for finally 'committing the act', you are now in a whole new world of retroness.

Try an e-mail to Orange, the founders are still about and are apparently very helpful. Also a PM to sinnerman will give you access to his amazing and encyclopaedic knowledge of all things mtb.

Just a few words of warning: One is never enough :twisted:

Well done, i was watching this one on ebay and was tempted just out of curiosity on that Gusset ;) sounds like you could potentially have a bike with a lot of pedigree history, always nice to have a bike with a story.

Just to give you some inspriation have a look at my thread;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=207928

Yours is the same age as mine :D a little TLC and some choice parts and it will make into an amazing ride :D

Looking forward to updates on this one, and yea as above drop sinnerman a line he's a font of knowledge :D

Welcome to the world of RB :)

Jussa :cool:

Thanks Jussa

that confirms the graphics I need as yours was made the same month as mine

I am in 2 minds whether to go the satin black route or the paint scheme I have always loved is the orange and white fade.
Bob Jackson cycles have just painted a road frame for me that I made and they apparently are re-finishers for orange and said they can do the orange scheme no problem...do them all the time, they said.

I have dropped Orange an email with the same info but alas no response, understandable it's not as if they are going to get a sale out of it. we'll see if they come good in the end

thanks for the suggestion of PM Sinnerman

i'll give that a go.

Anyone know how to create a Gallery folder in the user area so I can keep adding up to date photos as it progresses?

I know what you mean about one is never enough, I have too many already but just about to have a purge as I have got the frame building bug

2 oranges are going to have to go, but that'' still leave me with 3 ;)

Interesting that someone who was a high level racer would choose the clocky over the prestige - guess we will never know why - presume given the gussetting that he was either a heavy or hard rider or just broke lots and a clocky was cheaper to replace.

Looking forward to hearing about the build

Interesting Clockwork mate. :cool:

You can use either decal design as bother were available in 1993. I prefer the classic design myself. Gil_M on here can do you reproduction decals but I think he might still be out of action after an accident :?

Bob Jacksons is a good choice for the re-spray as they did the 2007 Clockworks. I've got one and have had early orange/white Clockworks. The BJ finish is very close to the originals. :D

brocklanders023":2vdvcbyu said:
Interesting Clockwork mate. :cool:

You can use either decal design as bother were available in 1993. I prefer the classic design myself. Gil_M on here can do you reproduction decals but I think he might still be out of action

Saw a post from Gil_m a couple of days ago saying he's on the mend and taking requests again.

certainly helps inspire
that looks very nice

making me wonder if I should stick to the black

is the finish powdercoat or paint, if that makes sense and where did you get your graphics from

Back