Glen Doll ride 20th April - Postponed

Re: Glen Doll ride 20th April

Just watched the YouTube vids of this route and it looks amazing. But , as usual , I'm working and can't make it. If anyone is in two minds about going along then click on the link earlier in the thread and watch the videos and you will definitely go !

You'll want to go, but whether we can get round the route is another matter. The front hills I can see from near home are still snowy and the route is 10 miles inland from there and goes up near Munro level. I'm going to head up by car (or motorbike if its nice) mid next week to check out the north side and see if its worthwhile. Done it in the snow before but it was a walk with bikes not a bike ride, and last hour was in the dark with no lights.
Had a couple of back up routes, but at least one of these is still too boggy to ride. The other is in Glen Esk which should be ok, but I'll check it on the way back from the original route.
There will definitely be a ride in Angus that day though, maybe just not as grand as planned.

Or we could postpone till it is a little warmer - although looking at the reports it might be by next week, could be boggy though with all the melt. Snow for edinburgh tonight too so I could be wrong.

Shouldn't be too boggy, a lot of hard rock stuff and the Landy tracks are pretty robust. Final forest descent will be soaking though. Glen Esk shouldn't be too bad but does have a river crossing which could be a bit swollen.
I'll take a show of hands though whether to postpone until summer. Would be sensible option but don't want to let down those that have put it in diary.
Will do a re-run of Arbroath run for those close by instead if interested.

another option to consdier is scheduling the Cambusbarron run for next week if glen doll a no goer.

the arbroath rerun is a good option though well worth the trip like, highly recommended.

keithyr":31kcgz50 said:
another option to consdier is scheduling the Cambusbarron run for next week if glen doll a no goer

That'd work for me.

Do that then, I might not make either at the moment as it is, I really ought to get some road work done for the etape.

Sorry to say I've taken the decision to postpone the ride. Front hills still snowy with a week to go didn't bode well for trail conditions. THAT decent is tucked tight in the top corner or a north facing glen and is probably not rideable yet and that's really the whole point of the loop. Well not the whole point but a major grin factor anyway.
Keith had stepped in, offering to resurrect last months Cambusbarron ride which seems like a good alternative to me. Saves wasting a pencilled in riding day and easy reach from Easties and Westies.

I will lead the Glen Doll ride mid to late year ( I daren't say summer) when it can be slotted into calendar.

Ye prob the right decision mate, that ride deserves a great day for it.

Ill resurrect the cambussbarron thread as a substitute so def need to do it

Back