Front Mech Prob

Ian Raleigh":3j16kj3g said:
That also sounds a good idea too Martin.
Hey, I'm full of them! Mind you it is only Monday so I'm going to be useless by late Wednesday, had better keep a few in reserve!

Penfold6290":nmmnzyl5 said:
Ian Raleigh":nmmnzyl5 said:
That also sounds a good idea too Martin.
Hey, I'm full of them! Mind you it is only Monday so I'm going to be useless by late Wednesday, had better keep a few in reserve!
Never 'over screw' though!! Two problems will occur.......

1:

The chain will drop off the inner ring onto the bottom bracket shell causing the rear mech' to violently take up the slack
chain & the ten speed chain will end up going towards big sprocket at the spokes, causing the rear mech' to be ripped off its hanger.

2:
You will end up with loads of babies
smiley-love031.gif
smiley-laughing003.gif

I'm what you call an 'ideas man'. I let others deal with the practicalities!

I'm off to see if you're right about number 2, will let you know.

M

been oiling and test riding - seems a bit better and i wonder if the chain etc needs time to bed in a bit - i still estimate the bike has done 40 miles so i will oil and test and see what happens. Thanks Martin and Ian - apologies to all re the non-retro aspect to the query but remember in 20 years it will be a retro query!!!

Richard

TGR":3fubnjhg said:
been oiling and test riding - seems a bit better and i wonder if the chain etc needs time to bed in a bit - i still estimate the bike has done 40 miles so i will oil and test and see what happens. Thanks Martin and Ian - apologies to all re the non-retro aspect to the query but remember in 20 years it will be a retro query!!!

Richard
In 20 years we'll be saying 'yeah, I remember when bikes had chains, shame you can't get them anymore'!

Try Martins tip of a quarter of a turn to the lower stop screw, ride the bike, try the gears, adjust, ride the bike, try the gears.

Do this on the turbo trainer if it helps! Get the wife to be on the bike make her pedal and change gear and watch what is happening

Good point - i better buy up all 10 sp chains!!!! Bit like DA stuff in the 80's - i wish i had bought a lot of hoods and water bottles. I think the expression is "hindsight is a wonderful thing".

In 20 years time - this will be vintage bikes and the vintage of now will be antique - as will i!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Ian,

I will have a go on Monday - I have a suspicion that testing things on the turbo is not the same as on the road (feel free to correct me if i am wrong) - i will do it on the road as i don't think the same forces are at work on a turbo.

Oh, apologies for missing the 'get your wife to do it' while i watch statement - that would be funny!!!! The bike i am building her has 24'' wheels and the seat right down the seat tube and even then she is on tip toes. I would have to get ladders out and scaffolding to get her near the top tube!!

Richard

If you tighten the rear brake so the brake blocks bind, this will give you resistance and you will have to pedal harder.

Back