Miss-fitting chainset rings?

Houlio99

Devout Dirtbag
Evening,

I'm attempting to put together a new Deore chainset. Old cranks cleaned up, new rings purchased from CRC. Inner and outer rings go on fine, middle one just seems to be the wrong size or the spider is not the right model of deore?

Appreciate your thoughts on this?

JT

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 303
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 303
are you saying the bolt holes do not line up?

notice the notch on the inside of the ring, at 12 o'clock position - this usually should be in line with the crank - in your case, rotate the ring by 90 degree/1 bolt hole to the right.

It's the grey lumps (circled below). Wondering if I got a funny shaped spider?

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 276
this was a shimano-ism to make you buy the specific rings for the chainset to protect their spares market. even some of their own rings don't fit but the bolt pattern is right.

simplest thing to do is carefully (or hamfistedly, which ever you capable of!) file the crank arm till they fit, had to do it on some xt cranks to make TA rings fit a while ago.

:)

File the ring not the arm!! Takes 2 seconds. You will probably only have to file 2 of the tabs. Also looks like the correct orientation? The pin by the arm.

I had the same problem with a set of Shimano cranks and new Shimano rings.
As has been said, file the ring not the cranks, it's much easier. The ring is disposable, eventually, due to wear, I'd rather keep the cranks original in case the next set of rings actually fitted without filing.

Back