Anyone made a free standing punchbag ?

greenstiles":1e12c46t said:
as originally mentioned i'm after a free standing bag on the cheap DIY if anyone has made one before and has any experiance or ideas on making one.

''From materials from like homebase or b+q etc...........i don't want to pay over £100 to hit something i couldmake myself if poss.....any ideas ?''
Maybe you'll find some designs on t'internet that you can use to build something, or maybe somebody will be getting shot of something on gumtree you can pick up locally for a reasonable price.

Realistically, you are looking at stands like this or this. My other suggestion was something like this but that's a bit different from a normal punchbag, at least.

Those freestanding frame type stands are going to need something as balast - normally weight plates. That adds to the price, and you'd need something rubberised or absorbing underneath it, or else the sound and vibration will get passed directly from it, to the floor, and your neighbours.

If I'm honest, I think a decent freestanding slam-man-type would probably be the best thing for you, in a flat - have a good search on gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com/boxing-martial-arts/uk/free+standing+punch+bag) or perhaps locally to you on ebay - sometimes very decent kit is sold at bargain prices because people just want rid.

I'm entirely unsure what you mean by building a frame, and talking about having that inside a bag - surely that would mean something static that you just hit the hell out of? Heavy bags are meant to move - not wildly swing about - but move all the same. If you're just going to compromise with something that will be static, I think you could probably find a wall mounted punching / striking pad type thing, maybe second-hand, that will probably be better - but then again, you'd probably find a fair bit of sound and vibration directly transmitted through your walls if you used it - which may make you unpopular with neighbours.

I honestly think if you're just going to pursue some Heath-Robinson-type design for mounting a bag directly on a pole of some sort, you'll end up with something that's not very useful to use, and quite possible will soon fall apart after a bit of physical abuse.

Living in a flat, with much more cut-down options in terms of how you'd hang a punch bag, you're compromised, so anything truly tenable, is either likely to be reasonably expensive, or not work very well, or both.

The only other thing I'd suggest - join a boxing forum and ask the question there. Although many will be members of local clubs / gyms, you may find somebody who's had to work with a similar set of restrictions.

Back