(Not so) Freewheels

torqueless":27mdano9 said:
The SunTour lockring is a right-hand thread.. tightening clockwise. The Shimano BMX 1-speed top of thread is a left hand thread, tightening anti-clockwise.
I think I meant left hand thread :oops: . My Atom freewheel unscrewed by turning it clockwise. I just wondered it BobToo also had a left hand thread without realising it and had broken it because of that.

I'm not 100% sure of the correct terminology myself. Maybe there should be a Freewheel lockring-thread database here so that prospective freewheel-tamperers don't go widdershins...

Widdershins.....as in the wrong way to walk around a Kirk?

And I thought I was off topic :)

You must be Scottish LOL

Shaun

Midlife":2eoe3enw said:
Widdershins.....as in the wrong way to walk around a Kirk?

And I thought I was off topic :)

You must be Scottish LOL

Shaun
Not if you're a Terry Pratchett fan.

And if you are, you'll know what I mean ;)

In truth I cannot admit to fitting into either category..
Doing some categorisation of my own, I reckon both of you are "BITD Block-Busters".. :) I got you both down as Regina men, or possibly Everest... Care to contribute to the fledgling Freewheel Lockring-Thread Database? Here's what we got so far: (based on a small, and possibly inadequate sample)

Deasil: SunTour
Widdershins: Atom, Shimano

Here's a little tip for Busters...Especially on widdershins freewheels, you might find it advantageous to screw an old adjustable BB cup into the back of the freewheel and mount it in a vice thus, before attacking the lockring, obviously that is assuming you've already got the freewheel off the hub... Don't squeeze too hard, though!
001.JPG

I know this thread was a while ago now but look what I found. I was trashing some old floppy discs before I threw them out and these fell out from under the metal sliding bit. Not saying they will fit anything but they might make a good start if someone needed to make a new pawl spring for something or another.

Ian.

Attachments

• Springs.JPG
    Springs.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 186
Love it: necessity is the mother of invention, or should that be improvisation?

Of course, floppy discs are getting scarce now: I'll warrant that there are some on here that are too young to know what one is.

Kids, eh?

Dear Grumpy Old Man,
If you where born before 1960 they Will be in either an Oxo or tobacco tin if after 1960 they will be in a coffee jar or something Tupperware. Either way they will be on a shelf made out of scrap contiboard and on mismatched painted brackets. However they will remain lost as one of the first tins,jars or Tupperware will contain something distracting and needing attention!
Should you find them the law of storage dictates any thing need as a pair or more at least one will ping out on opening and disappear down a crevice only to reapear when you have built a replacement or is this just my world?

kamakazerider":3pjvjljz said:
Dear Grumpy Old Man,
If you where born before 1960 they Will be in either an Oxo or tobacco tin if after 1960 they will be in a coffee jar or something Tupperware. Either way they will be on a shelf made out of scrap contiboard and on mismatched painted brackets. However they will remain lost as one of the first tins,jars or Tupperware will contain something distracting and needing attention!
Should you find them the law of storage dictates any thing need as a pair or more at least one will ping out on opening and disappear down a crevice only to reapear when you have built a replacement or is this just my world?
Yes That definitely sounds like my world too. Whenever I do a job that requires tools I always allow double the time I think I need. The first half is spent finding the tools! The second half doing the job and drinking coffee. Then my least favourite part, putting the tools in a place where I know I will be able to find them next time I need them :roll:
I am pre 1960 but tend nowadays to store things in the plastic tubs my family bring home from the Chinese takeaway. Very handy they are. I also get quite excited on the rare occasions a shop give me a paper bag! I fold and store them very carefully, lol.

Oops, I said lol. :oops: :facepalm:

Back