Post or pre 97?

unkleGsif":3j6vzi28 said:
So, post away wherever you want

Ok, let's forget about any categorisations then. Let's post about the South-east events in Wales, road bikes in BMX and Sarah Beeny's* tits in ebay.

It's perfectly simple. 1998 models go in the 98 onwards section. Any models before 98 go in the 0-97.

*of course you can post about them anywhere - that's the law

sarahbeenysplash-300x182.jpg

+98 is not about modern bike it's about the newer retro bikes, created for them with the newer bikes as time past by...
If you don't post them in there or use it for fear of it being modern then that is up to you

al-onestare":2y20s3a0 said:
unkleGsif":2y20s3a0 said:
So, post away wherever you want

Ok, let's forget about any categorisations then. Let's post about the South-east events in Wales, road bikes in BMX and Sarah Beeny's* tits in eBay

Methinks you may have taken me a tad too literally.... my point was there is a natural blurring of the lines around 97/98, due to availability/sale dates etc, yet no fundamental difference between styles/components and technologies

Oh balls, I'm getting dragged into a crap debate on retrobike again... distraction time

Beenies tits.... you can keep em! And Allsop and Lawson!! :LOL:

FluffyChicken":13t58848 said:
+98 is not about modern bike it's about the newer retro bikes, created for them with the newer bikes as time past by...
If you don't post them in there or use it for fear of it being modern then that is up to you

Have you ever been there fluffy, it is full of 2013 bikes, custom made moderns, 29ers, people have read 98+ as post your modern bikes here.

Maybe all that's needed is a no modern bike rule, as after all this is retro bike.

Charlieboy28":360o5gtf said:
FluffyChicken":360o5gtf said:

Have you ever been there fluffy, it is full of 2013 bikes, custom made moderns, 29ers, people have read 98+ as post your modern bikes here.

Maybe all that's needed is a no modern bike rule, as after all this is retro bike.

Bike Chat 1998+ If it's slightly less old school (or even modern), it's in.
Any bike chat which doesn't fit elsewhere should go here too.

The hint is in the "or even modern" under the Bike Chat 1998+. The 1998+ forum is for bikes from 1998-present date.

Yeah it is all full of modern stuff...which makes sense as it IS post 97, so the would end up there, despite this being retro bike :) I guess a lot of us also have new stuff and naturally want to show off/talk about that as well...
Maybe there should be another category, as someone said above, -97, 98-03, 04-onwards, or even vintage (pre-90), classic (90-00), modern (00- ). Just numbers and thoughts bouncing about in my head.

stevet1":9katl8ym said:
Maybe we need a mid-school forum.
Not such a mad idea. There was certainly a period around 98-2003/4 where higher end bikes started to deviate from designs and dimensions the ha gone before, but had still yet to morph into what is now the typical mountain bike today.

Indeed, the era of quality 26" machines is coming to a close so some time around 2013/14 will be the boundary of yet another generation of machines.

We are watching history take place chaps and helping to keep it alive.

Vintage, year dot to 83 or so.

Veteran, 84 to 98.

Transitional, 99 to 2004.

Modern, 2005 to date.

Post modern , the next year or so....

Ok, so flexibility in the actual dates but as a rough guide those are the 4 distinct generations of mtbs that have been so far. I do think just retro and modern is a bit too simplistic when trying to describe the distinct phases of development and history of the mtb.

^yeah I'd pretty much agree with that layout, except maybe 84-98, I think 84-90 veteran, 91-98 Classic (start of mainstream front suspension)

Back