Lotus - retro mountain bikes

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Evening people - jumped over the fence from the road section in the hope that you guys are as knowledgeable & helpful as the road lot.

I bought an old road bike from a chap who lives near me and the following has cropped up and knowing very little about MTB's I need some help.

He has 2 x Lotus badged MTB/ATB bikes from the early 90's (possibly).

First, a red Lotus Sport with what I will describe as not particularly sporting geometry.
Second, a Lotus Sport ITS?? what appears to be carbon tubes into alloy BB, seatcluster, headtube, forks, rear triangle with deore LX groupset.

So to the help - I've read that Lotus did a few years of producing bikes on a commercial basis. So are these bikes desirable? are they scarce? do they have value as old school machines - if I say one has been to the shops and back a few times and the other has never been ridden, does this add a bit of spice to the equation.

Any help, advice, knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Any chance of photos?
Am no expert on these bikes but I think there maybe a catalogue in the archive section?

#edit#
Just looked in archive and no catalogues there for lotus sport.

But am sure someone will be along to help!!

The photos I have were sent by the owner and are way too big to upload, i've tried to resize and can reduce the KB size but I get and error about pixels as it uploads onto the thread.

The Red Lotus Sport has done a few miles, the (what I think is a Pro Carbon) is un-ridden.

The Red Lotus picture is the actual bike, the pro carbon is Not the actual bike but looks identical to the one i'm asking about. Hope this helps and more light can be shed on my original questions.

Cheers

Attachments

• RED LOTUS SPORT.jpg
    RED LOTUS SPORT.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 728
  • Lotus Pro Carbon.jpg
    Lotus Pro Carbon.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 728
The red lotus sport is pretty low end, not very desirable, but someone will want it.

The other isn't a lotus. It's an Alan Pro-carbon. If it wasn't so big, I'd be asking how much you'd want for it. Nice.

MTS, that's a British Eagle indeed. The OP mentioned that the pro carbon wasn't the actual bike but looks exactly like it.

Thanks for the replies so far - my initial thoughts on the Red Lotus Sport were as suggested - entry level and looks pretty much like the low end stuff you still see today.

Bit of lateral thinking - photo of the Carbon or Alan produced frame is the actual bike - took a photo of my bloody laptop screen just so I can upload it - no DT decals but a sticker on the DT near the headtube says Lotus Sport and some decals on the ST say something like ITS Legal?

Maybe this will shed a bit more light on this?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0273.jpg
    IMAG0273.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 687
Good work MTS, like what you've done there. When I were at school BE were a bit rubbish, so is this a case of sprinkling glitter on dog muck?

cheers

Back