retro mini disc players

Had several cassette Walkmans and I've still got one kicking about somewhere, but don't have any cassettes left.

I never bothered with MD, but I have still got an early Sony MP3 player, like this one:

sc006.jpg

It sounds pretty good, but I don't use it anymore because you have to use the awful SonicStage software to load files onto it rather than just dragging and dropping in Windows explorer and now I have an Android phone, with a 16Gb SD card I don't imagine I would ever get another dedicated portable music player.

DAT was brilliant for the time, I still have my TCD D7 and a full size A8 (well I would wouldnt I, I would be someone else if I didnt). I still use it to master my music recordings (I'll put one on youtooob one day). I took my DAT out all over the place, it was pretty robust for me at least.

p029_1_00.jpg

I think the point I was trying to make in my rushed post was... As long as you buy a decent recorder/player (post ~199:cool: MiniDisc is still a cheap and easy way of making your CDs mobile without going near a PC and farting around with MP3 tags.

Now who remembers the equally flawed (but better sounding) Digital Compact Cassette?

DCC_Player.jpg

My Aiwa F65:-
7514747372_2df207f383.jpg

The first minidisc recorder I bought. I have another of these, somewhere, with a bit of (oh, ok, then, a lot of) a bashed door on it.

My Sharp MT831:-
7514747382_e93a1cfe07.jpg

One of my Sharp MT-16s:-
7514747392_4425b98fb3.jpg

Both of these had something of a hard life, as they tended to be used in the car, and not really looked after as much as others, 'cos they were cheap. The decent ones tended to live in cases, so still look pristine, but these cheapie Sharp minidiscs just got abused, really.

All the ones I can currently find, together:-
7514771818_5ef4fd732a.jpg

Still got something like the Sony MDS-JE470 gathering dust in a cupboard at home.
Having looked at how little they fetch on the 'bay these days, it'll probably stay there.
I should see if it still works.

Back