1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

kamakazerider":3pl7c3cz said:
Hi with regard to the tubs,
I acquired some vintage wolber titanium/mavic wheels for a Bianchi Resto. On them are Vittoria squadre profiles.The Bianchi is low down on list and I fancy conti giros.one of the Squadras holds air and one bleeds from the valve rapidly,however I love old Raleigh's (gas pipe replica nut and bolt resto Europa and Ladies Panasonic) and i admire what you are doing with this very special machine. pm with your address and I'll send them across karma on the post

Woah - I was expecting a few bits in the post this week, but I wasn't expecting a jiffy bag stuffed with two Corsa CX's - Kamakazerider, AKA KARMAkazerider you made my day.

Can I get a round of applause for a generous retrobiker -he wouldn't even let me pay postage....

'nuff respect!

Attachments

• photo(10).JPG
    photo(10).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 894
Bravo! There is definitely some great people out there, they look great. I've had similar help with my Mavic/979 build. Just waiting for the opportunity to pay back. :D

You know you've got something right when the missus is impressed with something to do with your bike renovation don't you....

Here's the saddle as restored by Maggie @ North Notts Furniture Clinic
www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Repai ... _Notts.php

Better still Maggie feels it's still rideable.. All done in a couple of weeks for the very fair price of £65, including her having someone else re-touch the "Turbo" lettering

First Before, then After.

Attachments

• photo(12).JPG
    photo(12).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • photo(13).JPG
    photo(13).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,160
  • photo(11).JPG
    photo(11).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,160
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,160
Doubledee":15zlx7ht said:
Blimey that looks ace! Brand new, what did she do to it?

I promise it's the original one, If I read the manufacturing stamp from the base of the saddle correctly,it was made in June '86....

She did explain that leather provides the base layer, to which a protective and coloured coat is applied - she renews that coloured coat.

citrixccea":1ncxrt5y said:
You know you've got something right when the missus is impressed with something to do with your bike renovation don't you....

Here's the saddle as restored by Maggie @ North Notts Furniture Clinic
http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leathe ... _Notts.php

Better still Maggie feels it's still rideable.. All done in a couple of weeks for the very fair price of £65, including her having someone else re-touch the "Turbo" lettering

First Before, then After.

Great job I've just had one re-covered in Orange the leather alone cost me 3 times that

citrixccea":27e43y5k said:
Good news - the fork is original - see the image below, with the 4 digit code matching the BB :)

The notchy feel to the headset has been identified, having retrieved my 32mm headset spanner, all components came apart cleanly, with a little help from my nephew Jack.

The interesting thing was that the bearings themselves are actually fairly good - the races will clean up okay, but the bearing cages are corroding. So I'd like some advice from you guys on what should be replaced, and what should be retained ? The bearings seem okay - but I'd be tempted to ditch them all and start afresh...

Buy complete NOS bearings & cages they can be bought for not a lot of money from Nigel at Camyoldy or ebay. I've bought some and it has made such a difference

Last night a shelf collapsed in the garage, and the door got all out of sorts and wouldn't close, until me and my neighbour managed to take the tensioning wires off the door. It's secure now, but hard to open!

But the saving grace was that of course the 'nana was indoors, in boxes of components, and with the frame behind my desk! The new carbon bike remained out of trouble, while the remainder of the fleet are still in a jack straws like heap! I must take some pics when I get to the bottom... I'm going to get a professional in to retention the door first!

Thanks to Penfold6290 - I sourced a NOS adjuster from the same chap in Germany, it arrived today - here it is.

Attachments

• photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 897
citrixccea":m7qf760j said:
Last night a shelf collapsed in the garage, and the door got all out of sorts and wouldn't close, until me and my neighbour managed to take the tensioning wires off the door. It's secure now, but hard to open!

But the saving grace was that of course the 'nana was indoors, in boxes of components, and with the frame behind my desk! The new carbon bike remained out of trouble, while the remainder of the fleet are still in a jack straws like heap! I must take some pics when I get to the bottom... I'm going to get a professional in to retention the door first!

Thanks to Penfold6290 - I sourced a NOS adjuster from the same chap in Germany, it arrived today - here it is.

Sorry to hear of your garage door related trauma, glad you got the adjuster though. I had all sorts of bother getting my C Record dérailleur to fit on the hanger, I had to file off quite a bit of metal to get the bit with the little angle adjusting screw to clear the hanger, it's on now though.

Martin

This is a great build, congrats on what you've done so far. A mate of mine (who has just joined us) used to train with Dave on the local chaingang etc. I remember him as a local young lad with potential (!).

As you're in Yorkshire why not bring it along to the Classic Bike Show in Sheffield June 15th? I'm sure it would create a lot of interest. You might get some useful feedback as well.

Back