retro mini disc players

gibbleking

Old School Grand Master
just lately ive had the feeling that i much prefer mini disc players to my ipod ...the last ride i went on i spent a lot of the ride skipping tracks so i thought next time i f i just have a few then id enjoy the ride a bit more..so i went and got me a sony .as it turned out it was faulty so i got a refund and got me another of the same mode.now instead of having 32 gb worth of music i just have 76 tracks and thats it.id like one in blue but they seem to go for silly money these days ...so now i have the mz-n810 plus fm/am remote to go with it.

so does any one else use them or am i mad ?

Attachments

• IMG_20130410_112642.jpg
    IMG_20130410_112642.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 446
Used to have that exact one in blue many moons ago. Honestly, I had nothing but trouble with it. Wouldnt record, playback was iffy, just didnt like it. ended up binning it. I think it was most likely a faulty unit though to be honest.

You are partly mad.... but not alone.

I still have my Hi-MD device which I use to illicitly record concerts.

ATRAC outperforms MP3 by a long way. The remote system on Mindiscs is also pretty good.

i used to think my minidisc was the best thing ever, i was convinced it would never be beaten.
but slowly overtime i was converted to mp3 players.
i now use this sony mp3 player.
after having a set of expensive in ear headphones fall out of my ears and get wrapped round my
wheel & spokes and get totally wrecked.
i think this mp3 player is the best for cycling as the headphones are part of the player itself.
i would find the minidisc player a bit bulky now.
but i don't think your mad for using one.

Attachments

• IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5419.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 412
That ain't a retro MiniDisc player, the proper old school ones were massive and sounded terrible! Unfortunately just when they were taking off the iPod landed. My music collection will likely never be digitised and I prefer the simple pleasures of one album at a time.

A lot of players are issues but you can pick most up for sub-£20, a fraction of the £200+ they cost new.

800pxMinidisc_Sony_MZ11.jpg

lrh":3pw0brm9 said:
That ain't a retro MiniDisc player, the proper old school ones were massive and sounded terrible! Unfortunately just when they were taking off the iPod landed. My music collection will likely never be digitised and I prefer the simple pleasures of one album at a time.

A lot of players are issues but you can pick most up for sub-£20, a fraction of the £200+ they cost new.

Your music is already hugely compressed when it is put onto minidisc.

The best portable format, unless you use WAV files for your iPod is DAT. However portable DAT players are like hens teeth these days. I still have my full size one though. Lovely bit of kit and will record CD with no real loss of quality if you have the sample rate at the top end.

Sample rate on DAT is 16/48000 so slightly over CD - but the heads are really fragile, My portable died a death - but the ADCs were nice compared to many hard disc recorders. Hi-MD and ATRAC compression is nowhere near as bad as MP3 - it's just a proprietary format.

Real audiophiles these days rip their vinyls to hard disc at 24/192000 sample rates though....

legrandefromage":2oinydhd said:
I'll see your kacky old minidisc and raise you my:

file.php

i had the blue one for a birthday pressie the year they came ou..i loved that machine...

after this i then got this...still my all time fav of walkmen.the earphones were brilliant.

Attachments

• nike-sb-dunk-rodrigo-peterson-6.png
    nike-sb-dunk-rodrigo-peterson-6.png
    79 KB · Views: 390
Back