Nice looking ISIS or Octalink chainsets??

OldFatTi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I HATE square taper, always have problems with them creaking and I've tried everything - anti-sieze, loctite, spotless and dry... but always creaky sooner or later haha.

So I'm looking for a classically styled ISIS or Octalink crankset.

I can only think of Race Face and Middleburns thus far.

I'm thinking 5-bolt only as pretty much all 4-bolt cranks I've seen are ugly and too modern-MTB looking (happy to be proved wrong!!)

Any suggestions guys? :)

Pics will help a brother too!

Cheers!

I picked these up the other day for a princely £40.

They're ISIS, but as slow6 says, the arms are virtually impossible to tell apart from square taper ones. The modern chainrings give it away, though.

file.php

That's weird - I never get problems with creaking (you need to do the bolts up very tight) but ISIS/Octalink eat BB bearings in my experience. They put in tiny balls in order to make space for the fatter shaft.

hamster":357iw1h3 said:
That's weird - I never get problems with creaking (you need to do the bolts up very tight) but ISIS/Octalink eat BB bearings in my experience.

The first lot of RaceFace SRX bottom brackets certainly did - I think mine lasted all of about 3 weeks. However, reading the reviews of the later SRX units, they're much more reliable.

hamster":32mag3ik said:
That's weird - I never get problems with creaking (you need to do the bolts up very tight) but ISIS/Octalink eat BB bearings in my experience. They put in tiny balls in order to make space for the fatter shaft.

If you can find one, an SKF BB will solve that!

Back