Kona explosif 98? 16"

Looks like a 97 Cindercone/Lava dome to me? Don't believe Explosifs had Kona on the grop outs, have had most years and they were all plain.

hamster":e0hs9hv6 said:
By 1998 the frame would have been ahead, so wither they are mismatched forks or the frame is earlier.
They should be triple butted: IIRC that means TB stamped on the fork. Others (plain or DB) had Spinner.

My 18" 1995 Lava Dome is exactly 4lbs, weight wise you should be under 3.8lbs for it to be an Explosif.

Think the forks were from an earler model by the looks of it, very short threaded steerer but fitted the small frame. Would weigh it if I had scales also got to get the bottom bracket out tool's at work so next week.

Don't mind what it is, problem will come if/when I come to sell it.

Thanks

Tony

Wold Ranger":14hg63ra said:
Looks like a 97 Cindercone/Lava dome to me? Don't believe Explosifs had Kona on the grop outs, have had most years and they were all plain.

here's a link to my Lava dome 97 similar to the black frame but the above as a triple cable guide on the top tube, the lava dome as only two guides.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=247804

frame number on my Lava Dome is H783 1447

Black frame is H860 6439

does the 7 and the 8 relate to 97 & 98?

Gonna start by touching it up as the paint/coating is pretty good be a waste of money re coating it :facepalm:

Thanks

Tony

Hmmm

97/98 fire mountain > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95599&hilit=kona

triple top tube guide

8507380959_8d040066a5.jpg

well done Detective Dave Mars :LOL:

Mistery solved, not too gutted it's not an Explosif :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: honestly got it at the right price so can't complain I also have those wheels too. So maybe build it as a steath
street bike or something then at least when I come to sell it I can be sure what it is. The ad did say Explosif but guess he wasn't sure what it was and I got some wheels and a few other bits thrown in. So might build it single speed stealth for now, ride it a little and if my knees hurt too much I sell it on ;)

Thanks Dave and everyone else that's tried to solve the mystery of this frame

Tony

Back