BoTM April 2013 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
doctor-bond":3v3hr3dq said:
The replica / time & materials debate is all very well, but a big part of the appeal of Biglev's build is that he's trained himself to build it from scratch: not just ordered parts and paint.

The C26s are like asking an architect to build you a house like the famous one they did for someone else before.

The handmade replica is like building that house yourself.

Both are imitative and the results are similar; the difficulty level in the self-build (when, like this, it is done to a high standard) takes the respect to new levels. So definitely a worthy new dimension to the hallowed format that is BoTM.

Perfectly put. Amen.

MikeD":tnf7c2ui said:
There's clearly a difference between new tubes put together to an old design by a third party and old tubes put together in an old design by the person who originally built that design. To my mind the Herting C-26 "replicas" are, to all intents and purposes, somewhat belated additions to the original "production run" (such as it was). What they and biglev's notBreezer have in common is that they didn't exist as complete frames until relatively recently.

TBH I'm not sure about having Breezer logos on it given that it isn't one, but if Joe's cool with it that's good enough for me :) And I love the end result, whatever the name on the downtube. Valid? I guess technically not, but to me it would seem slightly mean-spirited to exclude it.

Love the Dagger too :)

an old romantic at heart... :cool: excellently put.

I think the Breezer replica is a great project and certainly a neat homage, but shouldn't it be in the 98+ BotM? ;)

I'm not a big fan of Yetis (in general) but I think that old lugs/tubes joined in the present day by the same people who made them back in the day (C-26s) is a pretty different beast than an interested aficionado using all new stuff now to make a replica bike (Febreezer?). Like I said, I think it is an awesome project though. I'd certainly be very stoked to cruise to the coffee shop on something similar.

So as always, there will be slicing and dicing and everyone weighing in for the nomination thread and then the vote will go how the vote will go... :)

whooow there guys. loads of pasion there.

In my defence I would like to say that I am not trying to pass this off as the original breezer as that's a one off in the smithsonian museum. I have conversed with Joe about this and he is happy for replica to be made "the making of replicas of Breezer #1: Fine by me, may they multiply. Far prefer it than nobody caring." I have tried my hardest to do a good job learning CNC design for the crown and orginal craft for the build. I love the Yeti c-26 and there is something to be said for using the original materials, but i cant compete with the pro builder. If there was a c-26 in this BOTM I would be cool if it won. If mine get more than 2 votes i would be happy as my last entry got 2 and one was mine! :¬) If no one likes my build it will simply get no votes. Sorry if my entry has stired up some arguments that should maybe be caried on other threads

What we really need is more entries as that what makes this thread fun. I love seen great examples of bikes i have not seen before. I love that Dagger, something unusual, well engineered and well put together and presented. what's not to like. I just want 15 more like that and share some retro bike love.

highlandsflyer":2ytub50h said:
I don't think it does fit in amongst retro bikes, which by the definition of this site are 97 or before. Common sense really.

It's the obvious and, I think, technically correct one, but I'm uncomfortable with it. There's nothing "post-97" about it except its actual age, if you see what I mean :)

And for the record, I am happy for the Breezer replica to stay in the comp given the rarity of the project and grey-area of old/new the bike represents. If people think it doesn't quite qualify, the votes will show that.

Some touchy subjects this month! If I had a load of titanium tubes from the Fat days and got I-Robot on FC to build me a new FC TI would it be a proper Fat Chance Ti? I don't think it could be classed as. The same with C26's, Rumpfys is different as it would seem to have been built in the era the factory was knocking them out but to me the others are like the MR2 Ferrari replicas mentioned above.

highlandsflyer":2z2flglw said:
I don't think it does fit in amongst retro bikes, which by the definition of this site are 97 or before. Common sense really.

If that's the case the "new" C26's should be in the post 97 section as they were built recently.

I love the notBreezer - you're never going to get an original one so why not build one! Looks well done and could well get my vote to be honest. Top work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back