2012 Nukeproof Mega

Re: 2012 Nukeproof Mega *work in progress*

Pedals, Tyres, Discs.

Ive gone for some nice Saint pedals, to replace the orange DMR V8's, ive used V8's for years on all my bikes as they are cheap and cheerful,and planned on doing the same again (only black) but the saint ones do look nice and they use needle bearings both ends rather than bushes, so should stay smoother for longer. I've been nothing but impressed with the quality of all the other saint stuff and I also only paid £40 for a set from Evans after receiving a discount code.

As for the tyres, the Maxxis high rollers were 2.5" wide and fairly heavy, so I wanted to swap them out for something narrower/lighter. I decided to go with my old favourite the 2.1" Panaracer Fire XC pro but I went for the all black version rather than the trademark red wall (this may have been a mistake as now all the orange is off the bike its looks very black, they also look very narrow, but this could just be because the old ones were so wide).

As for the discs, The Hope Floating discs have always caught ever so slightly when feathering the brakes, the rivets on the disc just slightly foul the caliper. So I've gone for the Shimano Saint floating rotors instead. Ive also dropped down a size on the rear as I felt the 203mm front and rear was a bit overkill. having had to buy a new mount for the 180 rear, I ordered a new one for the front too as the one i had was just a cheapo superstar one and i wanted to remove any alignment and rubbing issues totally now i'm doing more than just thrashing down a hill side.

I've also got a proper chain-stay protector, that's replacing the home made inner tube/zip ties effort, and some cable rub protectors to replace the puncture repair patches I stuck on when I first built it.

Not much then!

Those Saint pedals look lovely and have had some good reviews.mif they're as well made as the old DX jobbies, they'll be a cracking pair of pedals. I refuse to buy posh pedals because they just get battered, especially on a bike with a low bottom bracket.

My 2.35 Maxxis tyres looked lost in my frame and forks, however the Hans Dampf's that have replaced hem look huge, despite weighing less. They grip as well though, but them and my new wheels make the bike feel much more spritely. Easily the best money I've spent on the SX.

I know what you mean about the pedals! But the saint ones are actually two tone, they are brushed alloy in the places where they would wear and scratch and then they are black in all the 'out of the way' places, so they should stay looking tidier for longer.

I'm still waiting for the pedals but got the rest of the stuff on tonight...

Few bits...
A7C1F473-EA79-4158-B252-EB9F1386F9F4-16048-000005DC386BA86E.jpg

484B8E17-84BD-4A59-91C8-27DCB86023D3-16048-000005DC468AC28B.jpg

All fitted, new discs, tyres and other bits mentioned above. Looking very 'stealth' now!

E6F21666-C507-495D-841C-B45DF9418A77-16048-000005DC4C309EEC-1.jpg

13DB2349-6E8F-462B-B96C-0232A0C5D964-16048-000005DC5345201F.jpg

708AFC09-2EE2-4F70-84CD-B9C2A0F20FA8-16048-000005DC57DF46BE.jpg

AF63B7BF-F74F-41E3-912E-9A149739EF48-16048-000005DC5CA5E320.jpg

I think its desperately in need of a gold hope seat clamp. :D

I also replaced the shock bolts as they were slightly corroded

7067FB3B-4A42-4FD3-AEE6-C078E981FB53-16048-000005DC616115E0.jpg

Surprised you went for 2.1 tyres, although no experience of them.

Looking great.

Looking good fella. Got to say that I prefer it without the orange bits.

The Shimano rotors are great with the sandwich construct. Mine are pretty much dead straight too(I've always struggled with Hope rotors being a bit wobbly).

Mindmap3":w3cxj9kz said:

The Shimano rotors are great with the sandwich construct. Mine are pretty much dead straight too(I've always struggled with Hope rotors being a bit wobbly).

Yeah they do seem like a nice quality part, and they are now set up and i get no rubbing at all, not even a light bit of rubbing (something I always had with the hopes) So im happy with them so far.

I'm actually growing to like the stealth look. Though I think a few more Gold bits wouldn't go a miss.

The tyres really do seem narrow (I used these for years and never thought they were skinny) but the fork and frame have plenty of clearance so they just look lost. Im gonna see how it rides with them on the weekend, but if I don't like them I'll stick them on the commuter and go with a pair of 2.35 Minion DHF for the front and rear.

I'm also considering investing in a dropper post. Maybe. It makes sense, I think.

*AJ*":2yc9orw2 said:
Mindmap3":2yc9orw2 said:

Yeah they do seem like a nice quality part, and they are now set up and i get no rubbing at all, not even a light bit of rubbing (something I always had with the hopes) So im happy with them so far.

I'm actually growing to like the stealth look. Though I think a few more Gold bits wouldn't go a miss.

The tyres really do seem narrow (I used these for years and never thought they were skinny) but the fork and frame have plenty of clearance so they just look lost. Im gonna see how it rides with them on the weekend, but if I don't like them I'll stick them on the commuter and go with a pair of 2.35 Minion DHF for the front and rear.

I'm also considering investing in a dropper post. Maybe. It makes sense, I think.

I've just bought a dropper post...oops! The 2012 Reverb's on sale at Wiggle - I'll drop you a PM with the price and a discount code to make them even cheaper. My plans for a repaint are on hold now!

Bike is looking reallt good, I think the Minion's will go better on it (although they're not huge either - the difference between them and my Hans Dampf's is amazing despite both being a 2.35).

Mindmap3":31zfsyrc said:
*AJ*":31zfsyrc said:
Mindmap3":31zfsyrc said:

I've just bought a dropper post...oops! The 2012 Reverb's on sale at Wiggle - I'll drop you a PM with the price and a discount code to make them even cheaper. My plans for a repaint are on hold now!

Bike is looking reallt good, I think the Minion's will go better on it (although they're not huge either - the difference between them and my Hans Dampf's is amazing despite both being a 2.35).

I have considered the reverb, although I'm not 100% certain about having a hydraulic seatpost as It means removing the seat post from the bike would mean it would need bleeding?
I've also heard the lever on these is fairly easy to break off. I was looking at the KS Lev, but it looks like there's some issue with the distributors and they are no longer available in the UK.
Maybe I should reconsider the reverb.......

As for tyres, I did look at the Hans Dampfs that you recommended. They do look nice and everyone seems to rave about them too! The minions are a fair bit cheaper though and read good things about using a pair of DHF's rather than a DHF & a DHR.

The trick with the reverb is to buy one with a lever the wrong side for which you intend to run it, this way it mounts under the bars out of harms way. I want to run my lever on the left because I run a single ring, so have ordered a post with a right hand lever. According to Pink Bike, this also makes it easier to use.

As long as you buy the standard version and not the stealth, there will be no need for bleeding / undoing the fixings. Just unsnip any cable ties.

I've umm and ahhed about this for ages and the Reverb does seem to be the post of choice - the Lev us highly recomended too, but there is no UK importer so you would need to buy from Germanyn(e.g. Bike Discount) where they are just over £200 and then post back if there are any issues. At least with the cheapy reverb it'll be under warranty with Fishers. I nearly bougt a KS post from Superstar in their clearance sale, but the lack of UK backed warranty put me off. All the dropper posts are expensive and prone to failing so I wanted a UK based warranty - its just easier and cheaper.

I bought my Hands Dampf's from Bike Discount and they worked out about the same price as a pair of High Rollers / Minnions - they are great but no way would I cough up £100 for a pair of tyres.

Mindmap3":2h65mgop said:
The trick with the reverb is to buy one with a lever the wrong side for which you intend to run it, this way it mounts under the bars out of harms way. I want to run my lever on the left because I run a single ring, so have ordered a post with a right hand lever. According to Pink Bike, this also makes it easier to use.

Ahhhhhhhhhhaaaaa ;) After my PM you've just solved my problem.

Back