Anyone made a free standing punchbag ?

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
From materials from like homebase or b+q etc...........i don't want to pay over £100 to hit something i couldmake myself if poss.....any ideas ?

A parasol base is a start or something similar where you use sand or water for stability.

Both my younger nephews are black belts in Karate and my Sis got them one of the proper punch thingys which works on the same principle. Sand is safer if its going to live in the house ;) spillage.
Plastic tubing of drainpipe diameter for the shaft and maybe a 15lt(?) water carrier stuffed with sawdust(as per punch bags of old) and then maybe covered with the foam you get on cheapo camping and fitness mats to soften the blows a little.
One thing to note though is that on my nephews punch bag ,the shaft is connected with a spring like thing ,whether this is crucial im unsure :? might just be because theirs was quite expensive.

It's a start

Russell":2325mpip said:
Hang a dead pig from a hook in the ceiling?

thats how they made the sound effect that was used for every single punch thrown in 'The Dark Knight Rises'.....

i was thinking of buying a cheap bag £13 and putting a wide tube up it but thought it on a L shape base that i stand on to stop it falling.....???

greenstiles":2ak0cvah said:
i was thinking of buying a cheap bag £13 and putting a wide tube up it but thought it on a L shape base that i stand on to stop it falling.....???
Don't get a cheap bag - they're a false economy.

Where are you going to mount it - ceiling hooks can be a particularly bad choice for a heavy bag.

You can get freestanding stands, that you put weights on to steady them - can't say as I've ever used one - there's also those slam-man type efforts, with a filled base and a shaped body type thing - you can get generic ones that look just like a normal bag.

Truth be told, in a house situation, an externally mounted bracket, either on an external wall, or in a garage, if you've got space and the walls are solid.

If you live in a flat, I suspect the slam-man type things are probably the best choice, because mounting one on a wall, or using one with a metal frame, is probably going to create so much noise for other neighbours, you'll get them using you as their heavy bag.

If you can mount one on a solid wall, either in such a way as it won't make your neighbours hate you, or in a garage, you'll be fine - otherwise, consider going to a boxing gym, or similar type of gym where you can use one.

You want a heavy bag to be a decent size, weight and length - not overly heavy if you're new, but not too light either. Cheap ones are often a false economy - either too light or fall apart after a bit. People do make their own - but decent materials for the bag, and decent efforts at filling.

Get decent hand protection, bag gloves / mitts, or if you're experienced, reasonable weight boxing gloves. Make sure your technique is good - it's easy to damage hands and wrists.

Have you boxed before?

Neil":2s56s40m said:
widowmaker":2s56s40m said:
Find a boxing gym, there you can hit people instead :p
They tend to hit back.

"Boards, don't hit back"

Not as much as you can, if you are good and defend yourself :p

I have a heavy bag in the garage, but never get round to using it. I cant seen to get motivated until i get to the boxing gym, maybe its the smell of sweat, leather and deepheat :cool:

Rising up, back on my feet :D

widowmaker":27iso0u5 said:
Neil":27iso0u5 said:
Find a boxing gym, there you can hit people instead :p
They tend to hit back.

"Boards, don't hit back"

Not as much as you can, if you are good and defend yourself :p

If you don't encounter / spar with somebody better than you, you don't really get challenged.

I have a heavy bag in the garage, but never get round to using it. I cant seen to get motivated until i get to the boxing gym, maybe its the smell of sweat, leather and deepheat :cool:

Rising up, back on my feet :D

I have a foldable, yet HUGE, girder-esque bracket at the rear of my house, and quite a heavy bag that I mount on it, but tend to use one in a gym, these days.

Bit of skipping and 6 x 3 as my gym cardio, these days.

Latest posts

Back