GT ZASKAR 1997 FORK DILEMNA AND URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!!! :)

Re: GT ZASKAR 1997 FORK DILEMNA AND URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Not really period correct but I have 2003 SID race on mine.

80mm travel, lockout and nice and light :)

Houlio99":64nrvbx2 said:
Hi All,

I'm struggling to date Rock Shox Judy's for my '97 Zaskar build. I know I want something relatively short travel (80 mm), but I also want something relatively light weight / usable.

Most Ebay listings don't give the years and my memory can't stretch that far back.

Are there any cataloges / archives that will have models and stats.

I'm quite keen on the Rock Shox Judy Super Lite XC http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item338126a936, but no idea of their travel length or year?

Cheers,
JT

I had Rock Shox Judy XC's on my 1997 Zaskar until recently - good forks that have been replaced with some Pace RC 36's.

Paul

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have used Judy XC and 98 SID's, but if you want more travel while keeping it "97" and accurate, you can always try to find a Judy DH... : )

Original fork would have been 63mm travel and approx 420mm axle-to-crown. Most 80mm forks are 25-35mm longer, representing ~1 degree change in head angle and bb height will come up ~10mm. The difference will not turn it into a slow steering pig.

A modern solo air rockshox fork like a Reba could be easily set to any travel you desired with all travel spacers, pretty much.
Something to consider is most modern forks are a little bit taller, most likely to do with larger tyre clearance and in some cases stiffer crown-steerer-uppers units than back in the day, which is why a 17mm longer travel fork can be 25mm or so taller now. But you could get close.

Thanks all, I really need to settle on a fork as it's the last piece needed for me build....

Back