Short Fat and Ugly

My eldest is 14 and I unfriended him on Facebook as he kept writing stuff in public like "f..k off Dad". I don't think he misses me....

Blindingsun":3dgbqu5h said:
I'm 32. my mum is on my facebook. every time I swear in a status, she chastises me in real life.

that's why I understand why people don't add their parents.

Don't think my folks even have FB accounts. Although if they did, probably best not to add them given some of the remarks I've made on there about a certain pair of right-leaning tabloid newspapers (both of which my parents buy regularly). ;)

David

As to my son living at home, most of the time he does not as he is in the Marines so lives mainly based at Lympstone and will be all over the place over the next year. He doesn't want to be spending money at the moment on a flat he will hardly be residing in.

I guess I just miss having the child that was so dependant on me, I have three others that still are, It's just hard accepting your children are growing older and so are you.

Alison

Isaac_AG":fmzd0r9e said:
I guess I just miss having the child that was so dependant on me, I have three others that still are, It's just hard accepting your children are growing older and so are you.

I would say (and, incidentally, my wife agrees with me) that we don't miss having children who are dependent on us. We always liked the idea that they were growing up and ultimately would take on their own responsibilities. I can never understand people who say they don't want their children to grow up and leave home - isn't that the whole point of raising children, that they can take on the world as capable adults?
My wife has a friend who has two daughters, now about 25 and 22. When they were teenagers she used to get really upset about the fact that they would soon be off to Uni, saying how much she would miss them (yes, probably she would) and that they were "her best friends".
My wife told her "No, they're not, they're your daughters and there's a world of difference".

Anyway, I like having children who are growing older - it's how it should be.

I guess I'm a bit pathetic really, I dropped out of university as I hated the uni I attended Nottingham Trent, and so just studying to A' level means I'm practically uneducated so ended up doing a string of jobs such as Lab analyst, Morrison's checkout and breakdown recovery controller, I lost my sense of self worth and I found children gave me back some of this self worth and now they are stopping being dependant on me I'm beginning to loose that feeling and becoming introspective again and not liking what I see.

I think it unusual to call your children your best friends, I imagine for some they are but mostly I think they are the wrong generation from me and them to be my best friends although I would hate to loose contact with them.

Alison

Isaac_AG":3bhq6n6e said:
I guess I'm a bit pathetic really, I dropped out of university as I hated the uni I attended Nottingham Trent, and so just studying to A' level means I'm practically uneducated
Alison

Leave it out Alison, that's a load of bollocks and you know it.......

Isaac_AG":2hd9msv5 said:
I guess I'm a bit pathetic really, I dropped out of university as I hated the uni I attended Nottingham Trent, and so just studying to A' level means I'm practically uneducated so ended up doing a string of jobs such as Lab analyst, Morrison's checkout and breakdown recovery controller, I lost my sense of self worth and I found children gave me back some of this self worth and now they are stopping being dependant on me I'm beginning to loose that feeling and becoming introspective again and not liking what I see.

I think it unusual to call your children your best friends, I imagine for some they are but mostly I think they are the wrong generation from me and them to be my best friends although I would hate to loose contact with them.

Alison

Essentially nobody's thoughts are an accurate reflection of who they really are, but one's brain does pick up on thought habits which have been learnt when they were younger and gradually they get reinforced so eventually they appear real. So nobody is as brilliant as they think they are so as rubbish as they assume.

It does flatter the ego asking why do bad things always happen to oneself when this isn't the question that should be asked.

I reckon you should find a way of stepping away from your thoughts either through an activity or by meditation (don't laugh). You will then enable new thoughts to pop into your head which will help energise you.

Children aren't stupid - you won't lose contact with them just keep lines of communication open :)

By the way the above does work...

Isaac_AG":1de19v0p said:
I guess I'm a bit pathetic really, I dropped out of university as I hated the uni I attended Nottingham Trent, and so just studying to A' level means I'm practically uneducated

If that's uneducated, what's that make me ? left school at 16, never made A levels

To quote a wise man - I learned more from a 3 minute record, than I ever learned in school.

Andy R":3bi5sydd said:
Isaac_AG":3bi5sydd said:
Alison

Leave it out Alison, that's a load of bollocks and you know it.......

It may have been bollocks 20 years ago, now I've forgotten everything, I don't think I could even teach my 8 year old anything these days whereas 20 years ago I knew physics, maths, biology and chemistry, I say physics but that was an agonising struggle with the help of my hubby which I only scraped through.

Alison

Back