Not sure about this work I've had done on my bike

SantaHul

Retro Guru
Hi guys

I took my 1984 CB Dalesman frame in to have some dents and other problems sorted ahead of a full restoration. I also asked the chap to drill the chainstay bridge so I could fit my GB mudguards properly. When I got the frame back it hole seems to have been drilled at an angle for some reason. Am I being stupid or is this way off? I just can't see how a frame builder could get this so way off by accident. Look at the angle its going into the mudguard.

WP_001030_zpsdeacb78b.jpg

Not sure whats happened there but it doesn't look right. It doesn't look like a new piece of metalwork, but has he brazed on a reinforcement and then drilled and tapped it?

Yeah I guess so. Its all fine except its at the wrong angle. I hope it can be fixed or this restoration isn't off to a very good start.

All you can do with that is fit an angled spacer at both sides of the mudguard...........or take it back.

Shaun

You could try some of the washers found on modern brake pads to straighten it up.

Balls up, take it back and get it done properly, anything else is a bodge and you'll always be reminded every time you look at it!

I suspect a balls up with a reason. Go back in a good mood, you'll get a good reception that way.

I agree - he should have used a drill extension to get in there...at the very least, drilling obliquely is not something I would have expected from a professional.

Back