Why did everyone hate thatcher?

dan smith":11fyfjnl said:
highlandsflyer":11fyfjnl said:
No one can argue she did not hate the working class. She wanted to take Britain back to the days of serfs and brutal masters.

What about the right to buy?
I wouldn't bother tbh. The millions of working class who profited hugely from right to buy obviously weren't the right type of working class. Likewise the ones encouraged to start businesses, own shares in privatised industries yadda yadda.

She took the milk away. Boo, witch, evil etc.

my dad was really supportive of her.
and he was lower working class.
can't really comment on maggie myself from a political point of view.
but at she has died, and as a person surely deserves some respect.
although i fully understand peoples bitterness, she has now gone.
maybe it is a good time for people to move on and stop hoarding such bitterness.

dan smith":1mqnqwue said:
highlandsflyer":1mqnqwue said:
No one can argue she did not hate the working class. She wanted to take Britain back to the days of serfs and brutal masters.

What about the right to buy?
And now the waiting lists as she sold off the social housing, and didn't replace it. Just like everything else she sold off for a one off profit. Instead of looking after us all, forever, which made the government money, not cost it, we now have companies taking profit, and the taxpayer subsidising them. She also changed the way politics are in this country. Instead of having a left, a right and a centre party, we have 3 right leaning parties.

She hated anyone that stood in the way of her, and her friends greed. She and her government encouraged greed, and the masses lapped it up. She used the press to reinforce her opinions, and we still have to put up with it today. Orwell got 1984 so right, in so many ways

videojetman":2ztbdw7e said:
my dad was really supportive of her.
and he was lower working class.
You don't win three elections on the trot by appealing only to the rich. Although some would have you believe it.

Everyone hated her? She won the largest Tory majority in history, and was the longest serving PM of the 20th century. One would presume that in order to achieve this feats that at least a few people didn't hate her, and actually even liked her enough to vote her party into power 3 consecutive times under her leadership.

35, so the first parliamentary election I voted in was 1997 ["Things can only get bitter"...] and no I didn't vote for Princess Tony.

I never thought the old slapper was that bad, afterall what could possibly be evil about someone who invented soft scoop ice-cream and drove an MGBGT?
Now although many males heartily disliked her I reckon, from my observations, that it took a woman to truly dispise her! I know some men- including my own father- who admired her but can't think of any women who I know who had any time for her. Likewise I can't think of any men who despised her [Except perhaps Ted Heath and I never met him] with the radioactive concentration and venom that defined females hatred to her. Strangely the most strident Maggie-haters were just like her [Not that you'd have told them so], aggressive, strident "Wimmin" who wanted to take male dominated society by the scruff of the neck and wring it's scruffy neck. Maybe they didn't like it because she got there before them...
Something else that puzzles me, she was a member of the "Conservative and Unionist" party but the dictionary defines conservative as opposed to great and sudden change. Was she not actually a dangerous radical? Considering that she forced her way into the public conciousness in the mid nineteen-seventies at about the same time as punk and she believed in destroying complacency and challenging the comfortable and she actually did all that she set out to do [Rather than been dropped by EMI and Virgin], doesn't that make her more credible as a punk than... Malcolm Maclaren?!

There are some problems that can be laid at her door. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are; "Right to buy" which means we now have a serious shortage of social housing, her son and heir Mark [The Thatcher family's equivalent of Winnie Mandela] and her claim that "Britain never negotiates with terrorists" [Unlike her predecessors and successors she rightly gave the IRA and the INLA the cold shoulder but her government still ended up round the negotiating table at Lancaster House with ZANU and ZAPU]. Maybe her biggest mistake [For her] was that just when she needed to spend her Kestevenshire-grocer's-daughter thrift instinct took over and she tried to save. Poll tax wasn't unpopular because of what it represented, in-fact it had been in Tory manifesto's since the 1970's so in theory it even had an electoral mandate, it was unpopular because it was going to cost people more money. If she'd upped the central government subsidy for local authorities for a couple of years so that people were paying less than they had under the rates then she'd have been home and dry for another five years...

It's odd that despite being a devout Methodist she managed to overlook Apartheid in her relations with South Africa. I never understood why until one day a few years ago I realised that Apartheid and the National Party barely outlived the USSR. maybe our leaders once thought that with former African colonies been sponsored by the Russians, Cubans and Chinese it was better to hold their noses and do business with South Africa to prevent their trade routes been held to ecomonic ransom. Mrs Thatcher used to serve alongside MP's who'd had first hand experience of the Suez crisis when Russian backed President Nasser closed the Suez canal to allied shipping. Potentially the idea of a the cape coast and ports under Soviet or East German influence with the implied threat to oil and food supplies might have been too much for her to stomach. As it happens once Soviet Communism faded away so did Apartheid but by then she wasn't in power to do business with the new South Africa.

Her biggest legacy is the freedom to hate her, or anyone else [I'm waiting for Mugabe and "Princess Tony" to buy the harp farm, when either of them go I'll take buns to work for everyone!] and to say so proudly. The citizens of the Falkland Islands live in a democracy once more, so do the people of Argentina because defeat in war made the Junta look vulnerable for the first time and once people stop been afraid there's no going back, just look at Romania in 1989. She challenged the Soviets in Eastern Europe and nurtured relations with Gorbachev, recognising him as someone eager to rip it up and start again and who wasn't interested in maintaining his own comfy position. After she fell from grace she was reviled in Britain but worshipped in Eastern Europe as an inspiration. Now that says more about you than than Ben Elton squawking in mock indignation!

She also helped make some of us what we are. It is because of her that I had the freedom to become an active trade unionist, had she not changed the laws to abolish "Closed shops" and defeated the Union barons [There used to be loads of Thatcher impersonators but I can't think of a single Arthur Scargill impersonator and he was a comic gift, he had the voice and mannerisms of Geoff Boycott, The Rev. Dr Ian Paisley and Frankie Howerd] I would only ever have joined unions grudgingly rather than willingly and I would certainly never have given my time to serve as branch auditor.

Finally one of the odd little things I've got around the house is a pit lift token, given to my Dad when he was in the Police. It was presented to him by one of the miners whom he was charged with protecting on their way to work during the miner's strike. Scargill of course had called the strike without a ballot and the miners who challenged this, including the one who gave my Dad the little brass token, became founder members of the Union of Democratic Mineworkers. The decision of Pit Deputies to stay at work and the founding of the UDM helped keep the lights on in Britain and gave a massive shot in the arm for the individuals who wanted to participate in their community, participate in their workplace and support their fellow workers but who didn't want to be pushed around by the kind of leaders who thought that everybody was equal but they themselves were more equal than you or I.

Everyone didn't hate Thatcher. Which was probably a bigger problem in itself than she ever would have been otherwise.....

She caused the Falklands war when she agreed to that prigg John Nott's stratagem of winding down the garrison there as ( he believed ) the only war was going to be nuclear.
She sent our railways back further than Beeching's cuts, insisting the privatised British Rail be divided into an irreversible 96 independent companies.
She turned northern Ireland into a political toilet ( anyone remember the running gag about cabinet ministers who displeased her becoming the " Secretary of state for Northern Ireland? ).
All her hair-brained get-rich-quick schemes were funded by north sea gas.
She killed the unions.
She killed job security.
She closed Wales ( rail, steel,shipping, coal ).
She closed the north ( as above ).
I'm 47 and I'm having a drink tomorrow to celebrate that bitch's death.
HOW DARE THEY compare her to Winston Churchill.

Is it just me or does anyone else have a suspicion that the whole waste-of-public-money-in-a-time-of-austerity funeral palaver is just a way of discrediting those who hated Thatcher by making them look like the Green Meanies when they start to complain about it? And really all it's really about is making "Call me Dave" and his inbred mates look less like bell-ends?

Latest posts

Back