Why did everyone hate thatcher?

shovelon":891wcs8s said:
Age 56.

Very interesting. Only 2 British Prime Ministers worth remembrance is Winston Churchill, and Margaret Thatcher.

Thatcher was a very commanding figure during the Falklands war, viewed with awe around the world.

Tough love anyone?

...and how many Presidents are worthy of remembrance?

I don't care what your political leanings are, an estimated cost of £5-9M (largely funded by taxpayers money) for a ceremonial funeral for a civil servant is a f@<#ing outrage!!

Thatcher was a strong woman in tough times, IRA, cold war, unions, falklands etc

Much like today opinions are divided with respect to the decisions that an PM makes.

I wish we had a leader of her caliber now!

My dad fought in Northern Ireland and the Falklands, he hates thatcher.

so does half my family who worked down a mine or in industry. must be a legit reason?

Blindingsun":v6iek3rz said:
My dad fought in Northern Ireland and the Falklands, he hates thatcher.

so does half my family who worked down a mine or in industry. must be a legit reason?

The same reason why people don't like certain politicians today, negatively effected by decisions they made or their views.

brucers":1xswk080 said:
She was only concerned with the rich getting richer and dumping on those lower down, that being a majority of the population.
Pish.

She grew up in a flat above her dad's grocer shop ffs. She didn't come from money like most of today's lot. Her and Major came from more humble beginnings than the last three Labour leaders.

She instigated millions of the lower downs you speak of to get mortgages, buy council homes and become shareholders. i.e. become better off. Some took it, some didn't.

She made mistakes but I'd far rather have her than any who followed her.

highlandsflyer":25izjlvh said:
No one can argue she did not hate the working class. She wanted to take Britain back to the days of serfs and brutal masters.

What about the right to buy?

highlandsflyer":1cvz5iza said:
No one can argue she did not hate the working class. She wanted to take Britain back to the days of serfs and brutal masters.
Millions of working class would argue that.

I won't because ultimately it will be futile. I'm happy with her legacy. Others aren't but there's nothing can change it.

shovelon":2i552kn9 said:
Age 56.

Very interesting. Only 2 British Prime Ministers worth remembrance is Winston Churchill, and Margaret Thatcher.

Thatcher was a very commanding figure during the Falklands war, viewed with awe around the world.

Tough love anyone?

I was determined not to be drawn into this thread but f*ck me...you are joking right? Jeez...you bought it hook line and sinker, well done you.

Back