7 & 8 speed compatibility

Aluminium Ohhh

Retro Guru
You know what they say, ignorance is bliss that was me till a few months ago and since finding this forum I now find myself in the category of a little knowledge is dangerous

Decided to build my Orange P7 1995 with era correct ish kit, to me that means from the 1990's and what I a) like the look of b) what will technically work together c) what I can get hold of
Decided to go 8 speed, have found some shimano XTR V Brakes and levers M950 so then found some XT ST M008 shifters and now the queries start
I will be only using Shimano XTR or XT
Can I use any 8 speed cassette? (will these fit on all shimano XT/XTR free wheels from 1995-1999)
Can I use any front chain rings M900 through to say M952?
I want to avoid rapid rise but other than this can I use any M900 through to M952 derailleur?

Lots of questions I know but I don't want to make expensive mistakes

Thanks in advance for those with knowledge far superior to mine :oops: :D

All the 8 speed stuff is compatible, provided you stay away from SRAM and use 8/9/10 speed hubs.
There is no difference on 8 or 9 speed mechs , despite what Shimano would have you believe. Either will work with 6 or 7 speed shifters on the appropriate cassette too.
For chainsets, anything goes. The chain may be narrower on the outside, but the chainrings are the same thickness.

Back