Superlight skewers - too light ?

Bought some Ti KCNC ones. Sure, they were a lot lighter than the regular Shimano jobbies. However every time I grabbed a fistful of brake, the wheels would move about and I'd need to straighten the discs afterwards. Tightening them to the point where I could barely close them didn't help either.

Raging_Bulls":3biyncso said:
Bought some Ti KCNC ones. Sure, they were a lot lighter than the regular Shimano jobbies. However every time I grabbed a fistful of brake, the wheels would move about and I'd need to straighten the discs afterwards. Tightening them to the point where I could barely close them didn't help either.

I nearly brought a set of those too ! :shock:

mattr":3v421f0h said:
In hindsight, i'd rather have sunk all the cash i've spent on bling aftermarket skewers into XT, XTR, Ultegra and Dura-Ace. The weight penalty isn't *that* huge in whole bike terms, and they just work. And carry on working.

I absolutely agree - there is a good piece on the Sheldon website which explains why the enclosed ones (like Shimano and Campag) work best. They are the only ones I trust; I have never seen one fail in 25 years.

theredchili":2givbye7 said:
I reckon they're okay if you use canti or Vee brakes, or HS11-22-33 Maguras. However discs put a lot of downward force on the hub and axle, and that's why the KCNC ones just couldn't handle that.

If you had plans to use them on something with rim brakes, let me know and I'll send mine over. If you like them, we can still talk money.

Raging_Bulls":16dg3p05 said:
theredchili":16dg3p05 said:
I reckon they're okay if you use canti or Vee brakes, or HS11-22-33 Maguras. However discs put a lot of downward force on the hub and axle, and that's why the KCNC ones just couldn't handle that.

If you had plans to use them on something with rim brakes, let me know and I'll send mine over. If you like them, we can still talk money.

Thanks, but I went for the MT zoom ones, will keep an eye on them flexing

I'm using J&L 30g ti skewers, non Q/R and have had no issues with them either clamping or coming loose, nor do I notive any flex..

Back