Park Tool Cutters

TGR":1ughj4wl said:
My point is that they did work previously and worked well, they have not been damaged since they were last used but this time they were not good. Could it be the outer? This was stronger Shimano outer than i have used previously?

richard

I think this could be down to the law of averages. With that sort of cable outer if you cut it at 12 or 6 o' clock the hole will be blocked by the piece left when you push against the flatter half of the cutter. If you cut at 3 or 9 o' clock it will be clear. It's more down to the construction of the cable outer than the cutters.

Round wire reinforcement cuts easier than the flattened wire type as there is more chance the blade will slip in between, either way it's just a matter of tidying up the cut so the cable is free to move :)

Shaun

Don't use them to cut spokes, they can do it but its overload.

I've never used cable cutters as I've got an electrical mini drill and I have a strong carbon cutting wheel
the end result in using this disc is a super neat clean edge, Also using the disc you have no worry about
having a sharp edge lift by pliers/cutters which may damage the inner cable after a while of use.

Ian Raleigh":2wzyr7hz said:
I've never used cable cutters as I've got an electrical mini drill and I have a strong carbon cutting wheel
the end result in using this disc is a super neat clean edge, Also using the disc you have no worry about
having a sharp edge lift by pliers/cutters which may damage the inner cable after a while of use.

Not really practical when cabling a bike in a sensible time... there must be a reason why every professional mechanic would still use those "old" cutters.
I too have a Dremel and a Diamond 1" disc wheel, but I use it for different operations

Hand mine along time now.Never had any issues. Could it be a bad set ? Are the cutting blades level? {straight} when they are closed together?

Right all,

Final instalment (i think) - i checked the blades are level. I did some test cuts on an outer and i have found that it cuts fine if the outer is lined turned to the path of least resistance - perfect cut each time. When the outer resists the end gets crushed. I will now do a test cut to establish the best position for the cutter and then do the final cut after rotating the cable to the right position. My suspicion is that the Shimano outer is stronger than ones i have used previously.

Thanks for all the input,

Richard

Back