My 1981 Gazelle Champion Mondial AA Dura Ace Ex

ata

Devout Dirtbag
Got this 1981 Gazelle Champion Mondial AA a couple of years ago and think it has finally found its form. When I got it, it had some Dura Ace Ex (7200) components, suggesting this was its original group. So I've steadily added components when I could find them reasonably cheap.

I Thought a Concor was an appropriate saddle as the DA Ex equipped Koga/Capri Sonne team that had some success in the Tour the year the Gazelle was built used them too. The handlebar is DA Ax, just to satisfy my identical logo ocd and because it seemed to fit with the almost Ax look of the 7200 group crankset and pedals (which is balanced by the headset being a Shimano 600, probably in there because it was apparently very similar but with much tougher partly steel components).

Apart from that it's about as full Dura Ace 7200 as you can get: 7200 hubs, brakes, seatpost, stem, crankset, pedals, derailers etc.

Attachments

• AA1.jpg
    AA1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,767
  • AA2.jpg
    AA2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,767
  • AA3.jpg
    AA3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,767
  • AA4.jpg
    AA4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,767
Hi,

Lovely bike and i might take the liberty of copying that build with a few variations. Did the bars come with the bike?.

Richard

Thanks all,

I bought the bars recently when I stumbled across them for a very nice price considering their rarity and the inclusion of the bar plugs. They are a bit tricky to put bar tape on, but hopefully it will settle a bit with use. I was originally planning to put some SR World Champion bars on like these, but with some bad scratching on the right side. Couldn´t resist the opportunity to add another more or less contemporary Dura Ace part. The Ax bars are quite funky, with a relatively small drop, somewhat flattened top, flared and diagonally cut ends but they are beautiful and feel very comfortable so far.

The only things that were on the bike when I got it are the brake calipers (changed the pads to originals), wheels, front and rear derailleurs and the shifters. Everything else was added over the past two years, including some very bad touch ups :oops: .

Thanks,

If you trip over another set please give me a shout!!!

I will have a look at this when i start my Gazelle AB build.

Richard

Might as well do this properly:

Frame: 1981 Gazelle Champion Mondial AA, Reynolds 531, partially chromed rear stays, Campagnolo 1010B dropouts

Fork: fully chromed; blades: Reynolds 531, curved; crown Bocama microfusion with Gazelle logo, dropouts Campagnolo.

Headset: Shimano HP-6200, 600EX Arabesque
Stem: Shimano HS-7200, Dura-Ace EX, 100mm
Handlebar: Shimano HD-7300, Dura-Ace AX, 400mm
Bar Tape: white fi'zi:k Microtex with bar:kit gel

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano BL-7200, Dura-Ace EX with Dia-Compe hoods
Brake Calipers: Shimano BR-7200, Dura-Ace EX
Brake Pads: Shimano Dura-Ace EX pads
Brake Cables: White Clarks universal

Shifters: Shimano SL-7210, Dura-Ace EX (Brazed-on A type)
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-7200, Dura-Ace EX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-7200, Dura-Ace EX
Derailleur Cables: unknown
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace EX
Chain: silver SRAM 8speed
Cranks: Shimano FC-7200, Dura-Ace EX
Chainrings: Dura-Ace EX
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN55, 107mm
Pedals: Shimano PD-7300, Dura-Ace AX

Rims: unknown
Hubs: Shimano FH-7260, Dura-Ace EX
Hub Skewers: Shimano Dura-Ace EX
Nipples: no idea
Spokes: butted
Tyres: Panaracer Pasela
Tubes: Schwalbe

Saddle: White perforated Selle San Marco Concor Supercorsa
Seatpost: Shimano SP-7200, Dura-Ace EX
Seatpost Binder: Sugino

Bottle Cage: Cobra aero
Extras: Shimano Dura-Ace nylon aero straps

Weight: no idea, don't have scales

Some more pics:

Attachments

• AA7.jpg
    AA7.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,674
  • AA6.jpg
    AA6.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,674
  • AA5.jpg
    AA5.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,674
Very cool bike. Some NOS cable would make it look ever better though. Same goes for the tape.

I recently built up a Brussels blue with new cables and somehow it looked al wrong. After changed the cables for a set that came of a NOS Colnago it looked way better.

Back