Raleigh RSP ... how old is my frame?

helix_torques

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Raleigh MTB RSP ti frame off ebay.

I've been a member of the forum for quite a while now but have finally taken the plunge and decided to build up my first retro build ... ;-)

Anyway, this frame ... below ... is causing me to scratch my head a little, I'm struggling to work out exactly what model it is and what year.

RSP_actual.jpg

The frame number is H23136 ... I've read on the forum that H signifies 97 - 98 models.

However, the frame carries the circular RSP headbadge ... that I've read (again on the forum) was only used for 1999 - 2000 models?

The frame is only V-brake compatible which would suggest to me that it is an earlier rather than later model?

The frame is bare titanium but there are signs about the frame that it was painted once and has subsequently been stripped. It looks like the front of the frame was originally blue (up to and including the first cable guides) and the rear of the bike (from the second cable guides) was white. Having had a good hunt around online I can't find any examples of any RSP bikes in this colour way.

Any information or educated guesses would be much appreciated.

al

Yes, last week. It was a bit grubby but after a good clean it's come up very nicely pretty much unmarked ... very pleased with it

Late model Torus, probably 1998.
Very underrated.
GT85 is a very good polish for it!
How much did you pay out of interest?
A there two holes on the underneath of the BB shell?

Thanks ... I'll try the GT85

I paid £156. I was a little surprised it didn't go for more?

Yes, there are two holes on the underside of the BB shell ... what does this mean?

No idea what the holes are for! Mine has them.

They normally go for around £200 as a minimum, so a very good price.

Thanks for the info Rampage.

Just had a look at your Torus ... really like it with the Pace RC31s ... exactly the kind of build I'm thinking about ;-)

I think RC31's work really well with it. I have the 440mm ones which makes the steering more like a modern bike.

Ok ... I reckon I've worked out exactly what is ... 1999 Raleigh RSP 550 ... catelogue picture below.

Matches the headtube badge and dates, paint residues and lack off disc mounts ... Still very chuffed with the frame ... little disappointed it doesn't fit the strict 1997 definition of retro ;-(

Picture1.png

Latest posts

Back