Marin Mount Vision 1997 - Sell Complete or Split??

dr_gn

Dirt Disciple
Initial thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141961

Just wondering whether it's worth selling it. I've finally accepted I'll never ride this bike again now I have a newer one. It's a '97 Marin Mount Vision. Bought the frame brand new for £500 and built it up using a combination of parts from my old bike, and new parts. Since then it's done approx. 3000 miles of mountain biking, mostly in the Dark Peak. In those 14 years it's never let me down. I replaced the swingarm bearings once (only becasue I stripped it completely for an overhaul, not because they were worn out).

It's obviously been updated a bit over the years, and the current, probably final spec. is:

Forks: Pace RC36 EVOIII (1999)
Shock: Stratos TR-1
Brakes: F: Hope Hydro 185mm, R: Hope Hydro (with torque arm) 155mm (1997)
Brake Hoses: Goodridge stainless braided.
Hubs: Hope Titanium (1997)
QR's: Hope Titanium (1997)
Wheels: Mavic 717 DISC
Tyres: F&R, Tioga Factory DH 2.1
Seatpost: USE Alien Carbon 350
Bars: Easton Monkey Lite CT-2
Stem: X-Lite FLY
Bar Ends: X-Lite (c. 1997 - Disco?)
Grips: ODI Lock-On
Seat: Specialized Avatar
Pedals: DMR V-8
Crankset: Raceface Evolve XC
Front Mech: Shimano Deore
Rear Mech: SRAM X-9
Shifters: SRAM X-9
Cassette: SRAM 9 speed
Chain: SRAM 9 speed
Cables: Avid Flack Jackets
Headset: WTB Momentum
Bottom Bracket: Superstar Components Ceramic

Weight c. 30 lbs

So...how much is it worth either complete or in bits? Stored dry since the photos were taken a couple of years ago.

Cheers!

Attachments

• F.JPG
    F.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 783
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 782
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 783
  • A.JPG
    A.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 783
This is quite an extreme example of the parts being worth more than the whole bike - in this case, I would say more than twice as much.

Old full-suspension bikes don't fetch much on eBay, even good ones such as this. I have an almost-original 1998 East Peak that I built up on a whim. It's not a bad bike actually, but I don't think it would make more than £150.

I would say split as whilst it is a great bike with great parts you may get around £200 max for it complete and probably more than double that in parts....

...If you do decide to split I would be interested in the frame and forks, what size is it? :D

Doug

Thanks guys.

I've got to sell it if I want to buy a new bike, so splitting it appears to be the consensus (even though it will kill me to strip it!).

What's the best way of advertising? EBay and on this forum??

Doug - Not sure about the frame - IIRC there was "Small", "Medium" and "Large", and mines "Medium". If you want to PM me with what you think the frame and forks are worth, please do. The forks are totally fine, serviced by me every year, always greased after each ride. I still have the original manual too, and the cantilever clamps (which seem to go for a bit on thoer own on EBay!). The frame has no cracks that I can see, but the lacquer is scuffed in places (might not show on the photos). In fact the entire bike is fully functional with no issues at all. I was after all riding it up to buying my Stumpy a couple of years ago.

Thanks again for the advice - much appreciated.

wookiee":7zuv61pe said:
I would say split as whilst it is a great bike with great parts you may get around £200 max for it complete and probably more than double that in parts....

...If you do decide to split I would be interested in the frame and forks, what size is it? :D

Doug

I hate to say it but you're probably right.

The wheels + skewers + brakes (without tyres & cassette) really need to go as a set and should fetch £150

Split it, or someone else likely will to be perfectly honest.

I bought my MT Vision for a bit of a bargain, which to be fair isn't in as good condition, and the shock had to be replaced, but with original seat post, QR seat collar, naff BB, FSA headset and Marzocchi MX comp air forks (with missing lockout lever) I paid £125 posted.

Thanks guys,

£400 would do just fine. I don't care how I get it: complete bike or split it - once it's gone it's gone.

Just an update - for information in case anyone is interested - to close this thread out.

Back in 2011 (I think it was), I put the bike on EBay, complete, and got a best offer of £150, so I kept it.

Having decided to sell it (again), I took the advice on this thread, and stripped it. It was well worth it, becasue the individual parts gave me a total of £480 (minus fees).

That was without selling the pedals, X-Lite bar plugs and tyres/tubes, which I kept for other bikes. All the rest sold almost straight away.

Cheers.

I think you did well. The person that offered you £150 would have probably split it anyway.

Back