oh my god

Johnsqual":1su9c6ds said:
I predict cyclocross will be the next big thing. Not that it's silly, just that it has various things about it that give it
a potentially broad appeal.

Maybe some silly variation on 'cross for the hipsters - those daft monstercross bikes for example.

My vote is with urban / city cross.

As for the bikes in the OP; that range give BSO's a bad name ;)

otherself":fkgtvxo6 said:
wankers! 'urban culture' :facepalm: urban shyte more like.

http://www.tigercycles.com/bikes/road/u ... urple.html

The problem of those "things" is the very little value for money they give.
In fact, they cost almost the same as a decent brand cycle with gear and quality parts, i.e. a Ridgeback that will feature a decent and respectable frame (not welded by a blind guy, as those cheap "fixies") AND parts from Shimano etc. Albeit all from the budget range, they're all parts known for consistent performance and no surprises.
But those "fixies", how could they possibly sell for £250-300 when there's nothing worth that price?? :roll:

NeilM":2brhwus5 said:
Johnsqual":2brhwus5 said:
I predict cyclocross will be the next big thing. Not that it's silly, just that it has various things about it that give it

Maybe some silly variation on 'cross for the hipsters - those daft monstercross bikes for example.

My vote is with urban / city cross.

Yeah, that makes sense, not much chance yer average Hoxton cowboy would bother to go out to the countryside for a 'cross race.

Also, I saw quite a few chinless wonders on roadster type bikes with rod brakes etc last time I was in the UK. Maybe the whole
tweed thing will become trendy too.

Johnsqual":jyqii6zj said:

CX is certainly on the up compared to when I started competing, although when it comes to racing, it's the Vets category that's expanded rather than the younger age groups.

No doubt some sort of poorly-engineered day-glo single speed CX abomination will be in the shops soon in order to appeal to the hipsters. Now I come to think of it, one or two machines glimpsed at Herne Hill during London League fixtures of recent times have been on shaky ground when it comes to the "form over function" issue.... ;)

David

I doubt the CX will appeal the hipster.
First of all, it gets a lot more expensive and "complicated" to put together. unless we're talking of "some sort of cycle" botched up.
And you can't easily find and Italian frame -paid £900 on Ebay- to be "converted" in a CX machine. LOL :LOL:

Some Guy":1qobfeps said:
whats the next big thing? is i can avoid it,and just ride my bike
That'd be steel framed retro bikes, does that make "us" all a load of f*cking hipsters :twisted:

"Nostalgia" is already on, I'm afraid.
And in some cases the results are debatable...

gattonero":283nc2z2 said:
Some Guy":283nc2z2 said:
whats the next big thing? is i can avoid it,and just ride my bike
That'd be steel framed retro bikes, does that make "us" all a load of f*cking hipsters :twisted:

"Nostalgia" is already on, I'm afraid.
And in some cases the results are debatable...

Yeah, every old piece of crap shed find on the second hand sites near me is a 'retro bike - interesting for collectors' with an inflated price tag.

I recently did up an old frame for someone to go and ride the Eroica. It was a fake Italian
marque from Belgium (Girardengo - nothing to do with the real Girardengo bikes from Italy) probably worth max 150 euro after the work I did for him. He's selling it and asking 600 - fortunately no takers so far :LOL:

It's currently cool here to buy up an old frame and bung a Brooks and some leather bar tape on, presumably because brown looks 'retro'. To me it looks as naff as bogus Tudor bars or fake Irish pubs.

Johnsqual":p1bewund said:
To me it looks as naff as bogus Tudor bars or fake Irish pubs.

There's a 90s trend that thankfully seems to have quietly gone off the boil. One of my old locals in Sheffield got the dreaded "O'Neill's" treatment but wasn't really fooling anyone - even post-makeover it seemed to do more of a trade in Stones and Draught Bass than the black stuff. :)

David

Back