Shimano DA Query

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi again,

Odd query but any assistance appreciated.

Could anyone explain the difference between
Shimano Dura Ace
Shimano Easton Dura Ace
Shimano Dura Ace NJS

I may have made a mistake with the above but any info would be appreciated - especially about the meaning of NJS.

Thanks all,

Richard

Dura-Ace was the name of the top components introduced mid 70's :)

Isn't NJS the approval for all kit to be used in Jap Kierin racing?

Doesn't Easton refer to the fact the tube (seatpost) is butted and the tube manufactured by Easton?

Shaun

Shaun,

Thanks for point 1!!!!
Point 2 - is interesting and that is the bit i didn't know. I have to presume that NJS is really only track stuff then?
Point 3 - what is the connection between Easton and Shimano? Do they make DA based products or is it a formal thing with Shimano?

Thanks,

Richard

As I understand it, NJS is track stuff manufactures to comply with the rules, Sugino make "NJS" branded kit as well.

http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.p ... cts_id=416

Again, it's my understanding that Shimano use Easton aluminium butted tubes to make their seat posts. Rather like my Bob Jackson is made out of Reynolds tubing.

Someone else might have a different slant on it though.

Shaun

I have a DA seat post and i have an Easton DA seat post - both look different - this is where i started wondering what the differnence is. Sorry i cannot do pics at the moment.

Richard

The Easton one *should* be lighter as the tube is butted......... IIRC there is also a "join" between the tube and the bit holding the saddle but may be wrong about that

Shaun

As explained above, Easton is an American manufacturer of aluminium tubing (and products made from it). Shimano began using Easton tubing in their Dura Ace 7410 and XTR M910 seatposts in the mid nineties. Older Dura Ace posts were of a different design and didn't use Easton tubing.

NJS is Nihon Jitensha Shinkōkai - the body that regulates professional Keirin racing in Japan. All parts used on Keirin bikes have to be approved by the NJS, and bear the NJS stamp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirin

Thanks for the info - i am now enlightened, and on the subject of nailing it -

IMGP2691_zps4166d224.jpg

Richard

Back