Vintage leightweight Andy Bone rear derailleur hanger advice

luckyskull76

Retro Guru
Hello Retro bike,
I once again have a question for the you knowledgeable folk.
I am building a bike for a tweed run. My last build ended in disaster, i found out it was once in a crash and the TT and DT had ripples. That was a very sad morning.

This is plan two. A early Andy Bone, Nervex pro lugs. 531 and lighter than some of my modern bikes. It's had quite a hard life, not due to me i might add. It is a beautiful frame and deserves a second chance...... I see a re-spray down the line.

I am having an issue with fitting my rear derailleur. due to the shape, none of my rear mechs fit. I took the bolt from a campagnolo mech and it would not tighten or fit in the hanger hole..............Any advice? What can i do? What mech should i look out for? Can i fit a new bolt in my mech?

The tweed run is next week and really need a bike!

thank you.
LS

DSC00120-1_zps29825bda.jpg

DSC00119-1_zpsde721b31.jpg

DSC00122-1_zps2e0159e7.jpg

DSC00121-1_zps8cf7408f.jpg

Re: Vintage leightweight Andy Bone rear derailleur hanger ad

the picture of the lugs was really quite bad oops.....

There's a replacement hanger you can got off ebay, I can't think what they are called at the moment! You drill the old thread out, although you may not need to given it already has a bigger hole. Fit the insert which has a very slim nut on the back of it.

A lot of bikes of that ere didn't have threads and you had to bolt the rear mech on.....

Shaun

I guess if you were going to use an early Campagnolo mech you could remove the existing hanger and use the bracket these early mechs came with?

My early machines (40s/50s) have Sturmey's, as I find the hub gear more aesthetically pleasing; not only that if my Dad could tour the Loire valley in '53 with a Sturmey then that's good enough for me on his machine!

I'm off to the Anjou Velo again this summer - space in the bike hauler for anyone interested.

Rk.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks for your advice. As always a fountain of knowledge on retrobike....Pointing me in the right direction..... I think it is a simplex dropout..... Or something very similar...........

I have found this guide of how to convert the drop-out. Am i being a heathen if i do so? Would a rider of the day have done something like this to make his bike usable? I could put the hanger saver in the drilled hole if i cant find a tap.

"Simplex Dropout showing the area where the hanger needs to be cut away to work with Campagnolo style derailleurs. The 9mm holes also needs to be tapped out to M10x1.0 or M10x26TPI.

M10x1.0 taps are available at many hardware and auto parts stores for a reasonable price. They're a standard size used for spark plug on some motorcycles and small gas engines."
4640777339_d7791fb841_o_zpsf36b93bd.jpg

That dropout above is quite a bit different to the one on your bike, yours is pressed and the above is forged.

How about trying to find a simplex rear mech?

Shaun

they all seem to be way out of my price range at the moment.....

Back